These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Occasionaly "Invalid method request:" error

Hello

We're looking for a product to replace our FTP server for providing files for customers to download.  We're running the 30 day trial of Filevista and it seems to do exactly what we're after.  The only problem we've found is that we occasionally get the following error when uploading a file or moving a file into a folder:

Invalid method request:
Parameter "instanceID" is missing.

Is there an IIS setting or permissions or something that might be causing this?

Dave
Dave Lee 2/29/2012 3:13 AM
Hello,

We are evaluating this product. We also experience this error. Did you find a solution?

Gijs
Gijs 5/4/2012 8:32 AM
Hi,
Do you see a "Failed" event recorded in FileVista's event viewer regarding this error?
If so, post the error description from there, it would be helpful.
Cem Alacayir 5/4/2012 1:02 PM
By the way if you see an error like this:

An unhandled exception has occurred.

Exception information:
    System.ApplicationException: Invalid method request:

Only http method POST is accepted.
         at GleamTech.Web.JsonMethodHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
         at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
         at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Request information:
        Request Url: http://www.gleamtech.com/demos/filevista/fileultimate/filemanageraction/Download
        IP: 95.6.25.68
        Browser: IE 9.0

This happens when user clicks "Open With" action on the file and then tries to access url "/filevista/fileultimate/filemanageraction/Download" again by hitting enter in the address bar which is unexpected.
Cem Alacayir 5/4/2012 1:09 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately I do not see a failed event in FileVista's eventviewer. I have tried to reproduce the error today. It did not occur again. We are currently testing in a VM. If the error occurs again I will check the eventlog.

Gijs 5/7/2012 12:16 AM
We are seeing the same issue as well Parameter "instanceID" is missing
Antonie 1/15/2013 9:21 AM
i test filevista on IIS 7.5 windows server 2008 r2.

at the login page, after inserting all credentials, it appear an error:

Login failed:

Invalid method request:

Only http method POST is accepted.

and thats all... it never authenticate the credential given.
azuan 1/17/2013 11:20 PM
This problem seems to occur because of a redirection.
FileVista tries to do a POST request and IIS redirects this request to a GET request.
Do you have some kind of rewrite or redirection set on your site?
Cem Alacayir 1/25/2013 7:50 AM
This intermittent problem seems to happen when IE, NTLM and probably a proxy is involved:

"From time-to-time, web developers contact the IE team reporting that they’ve encountered a problem whereby Internet Explorer submits a POST but fails to transmit the content body. This bodyless POST indicates via the Content-Length header that the POST is zero-bytes long, regardless of how much data was supposed to be uploaded.

This behavior occurs on servers that use challenge-response authentication protocols like NTLM or Kerberos/Negotiate. For performance reasons, Internet Explorer does not immediately transmit a POST body if it expects to immediately receive a HTTP/401 response with a challenge for credentials. Without this optimization, IE would be forced to reupload the (potentially large) POST body multiple times, wasting bandwidth."

This problem is described here:

Challenge-Response Authentication and Zero-Length Posts

If you are using ISA Server 2006 as a proxy, please apply the fix here:

POST requests that do not have a POST body may be sent to a Web server that is published in ISA Server 2006
Cem Alacayir 1/29/2013 5:11 AM
By the way, we fixed a favicon.ico related issue in the recently released v5.0.
So if this problem occurred because of IE requesting favicon.ico and NTLM failing, you shouldn’t see the same problem in v5.0 and you wouldn't need any fixes for your proxy.

Cem Alacayir 1/29/2013 6:18 AM
Cem Alacayir:

right, i am using lowercase rewrite that caused any capital letters become lowercase in the url. when i disable the url rewrite i can use the filevista
azuan 1/30/2013 10:27 PM