These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

IIS 6.0: upload and download issues

If any of you are having issues with uploads and downloads with Web Explorer Free and are running IIS 6.0, try these solutions first: open up the file "metabase.xml" with notepad...should be located in C:\windows\sytem32\inetserv. Find the variable named "AspBufferingLimit" and change it to something greater than what is there. By default this is set to around 4 megs. By changing this variable you are increasing the max size of ASP response buffer, thus letting you download files greater than 4 megs using WexFree. For uploading files greater than this ammount, look for the variable named "AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed" and change it to the desired size. And there you have it. By increasing the number of these variables, you can controll the size of uploads and downloads (respectively) while using Web Explorer Free. Hope this helps. -Peace-
Steve 8/17/2003 2:56 PM
Hoorayyy! You saved my day! I have been looking for this setting for quite a long time, but I didn't know that the metabase.xml file existed.

Three long ones and a short!
Hoooraaaaaayy!
Hoooraaaaaayy!
Hoooraaaaaayy!
Hooray!
Joachim 8/18/2003 7:43 AM
Thanks a lot for this post.  Also saved my day, actually my whole week because I could not find a solution for uploading large(r) files.

Hooaah

Greetz

Tom.
Tom 8/25/2003 4:30 AM
Steve,
Thanks for your solutions.
Cem Alacayir 9/1/2003 6:42 PM
Steve, you're great!!!

Thanks a lot!!!!
Admin 2/25/2004 1:35 PM
I have IIS 5.0, I don't have the metabase.xml file.  What can you suggest?  Thanks.
Rocky 4/22/2004 9:52 PM
We have IIS 5 also. What do you suggest?
Chris Pratt 4/25/2004 4:00 PM
Please see the thread below for a IIS5 solution:
Upload Problems with IIS5
Cem Alacayir 4/29/2004 8:53 PM
I'm using IIS6, and I change the corresponding AspBufferingLimit and AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed

I can upload file with my desired value, However, when files greater then  20mb,the download show error page of "Cannot display homepage"

* I make 
AspBufferingLimit = AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed 
already.

Please help!
Freeman 1/11/2005 10:43 AM
That's what I wanted to hear! Everything is rosie now. :)
jon summerfield 1/19/2005 10:13 AM
Hi at all,
sorry for my bad languagge!
I use this application on this web site :

http://www.aginf.it/download

If you want take a little file (about 1.2 - 1.5 MB) all is ok, but for a large file is impossible. 

I can't modificate metabase.xml because i have not access to the server. 

I can resolve this pbroblem? how help me? thank 
Gianni Tufaro 2/7/2005 11:03 AM
I have set the metabase.xml file as mentioned in the thread. I an still upload files less than 100MB. Can anyone throw some light as to why I am hitting this limit?

I am using IIS 6.0 and Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. 

Thanks.
srs 6/17/2005 8:19 PM
Why is there a 100kb limit?
Me 1/18/2006 6:28 AM
Dear all,

I see this thread went dead a while ago, but here goes.

I have an asp routine based on www.freeaspupload.net

My server is server 2003 running iis 6.0

I have increased the metabase AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed to 2GB (2000000000 bytes) and also increased the script time out values (within the webroot configuration) to allow this rotuine to run for 65000 seconds. Everything has been restarted etc.

All is good, except!

At first, i was getting 'page cannot be displayed' but thats down to the script timeout value being too low. Solved by setting it to 65000 seconds (as above).

I can upload a test file up to 66 MB (ish!) i.e. 65 MB upload completes but if I up that to 67 MB, i get an error:

007~ASP 0101 Unexpected error The function returned |. 

I went back and dropped the value of AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed to 1GB (1000000000 bytes) in case i was exceeding the limit and something was defaulting to something less, still fails at the same point.

This all happens EASILY within the time allowed. I have turned off Anti-virus and still i cant get past this barrier.

Clueless at this time.......

Rik

Riksta 6/11/2007 2:23 PM
Hello there, after many tests, I just found that Request.BinaryRead doesn't support more that 65536KB when uploading files, with IIS 6.0
Daniel Raymond 10/18/2007 9:30 AM
hi all, 

I have IIS6.0 with windows server 2003 SP2 64 bits. I am facing connection error while uploading any file. 

I have changed 
AspBufferingLimit = 104857600
AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed = 104857600
connection timeout = 65,000

But still I am facing same problem. Can anyone help me why is it still following error:

----------------------------
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
-------------------------------------

The code works fine in IIS 5.1, its only having problem while shifting to server.

I ll highly appreciate any help in this regard. 

thanks 
neha 2/26/2008 11:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am having the same problem as the person above.  I have Window Server 2003 with IIS 6.  I want to download large file greater than 50MB, but I have the connection error.  I can download anything less than 50MB.  If anyone knows the solution, can you please post answer.  I have change the metabase xml file for upload and download to 2 gigs, but it doesn't do anything. 

Thanks,
Peter
Peter 3/5/2008 11:22 AM
Hi All,

I am having the same problem as the person above Neha and Peter. I have Window Server 2003 with IIS 6 with service pack2 installed. I have the problem while downloading huge files about 70MB. I get the error connection was reset and the user download stops. When user try download again using the download link, the link is unavailable and get folloiwng error message in browser.

---------------------------
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
------------------------------------- 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Srivi
Srivi 5/13/2008 3:08 PM
I tried to change the 
AspBufferingLimit = 14000000000
and
AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed = 14000000000

I saved the file, restarted the IIS and tried to upload the file I get the ASP error, when I checked the metabase.xml file both entries were removed from the file. 
I download the metabase explorer and that can't change the size for more than 4MB.
Any idea what is going on? 
Dean 9/3/2008 9:47 AM
Is it possible to upload a file of size more than 2GB by increasing the value of AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed attribute in MetabAse.xml?

Please help me out.

Thanks a ton, in advance.
Srini 11/6/2008 3:49 AM
I'm having the same issue and only can upload files around 60mb.  Anyone found a solution to this??
chris 3/13/2009 9:50 AM
Are you using URLscan on your server?

URLscan is usually located in the directory C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\urlscan. Navigate to this directory and edit the urlscan.ini file. By default, this file has the entry:

MaxAllowedContentLength = 30000000 

which restricts the maximum allowed upload size to 30 MB. Changing this entry to a larger value will allow the server to accept large uploads. You may need to restart IIS for changes to take effect after saving the file.

Cem Alacayir 3/13/2009 11:03 AM
Thank You!

Editing urlscan.ini

MaxAllowedContentLength = 30000000 

To

MaxAllowedContentLength = 100000000 

has fixed my issue.

Before editing this, my upload size was limited to just over 28Mb.
J Campbell 5/8/2009 4:10 AM
Hi,
I have the same issue, using IIS 6.0. I opened the "metabase.xml" file, i could not find "AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed". What is the alternate solution. Please help me
Thanks
Sasi
Sasi 12/3/2009 4:13 AM
hello,

i have a problem regarding file upload in win server 2003. i use php. heres my code.

move_uploaded_file($_FILES["file"]["tmp_name"],"../wph_sbu/others_reports_/".$_FILES["file"]["name"]);

when i run this code at win XP, i can move the file successfully. but in win server 2003, it does not move the file even less that 200 kb.

any idea??? plz help. thanks advance.
ryan 5/10/2010 6:04 PM
I am using IIS 6.0. I enable WebDav for receiving files from another server. The web folder cannot receive the large files. It only allows 200Kb. I have increased AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed from 200Kb to 60Mb and AspBufferingLimit from 4Mb to 60Mb.

Please help me... Thank you in advance.
tometo 7/18/2010 7:25 PM

When I go to c:\Windows\System32\Inetsrv I it is empty I cant find \metabase.XML or the "AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed" properties to modify the value  I have Win XP 
Peter 8/25/2010 12:55 AM
I'm having problems downloading files in the 35MB range.  I've set the AspBufferingLimit to 50000000 in the metabase.xml file, reset IIS, and continue to error out.  Any ideas?
Marty 9/16/2010 4:13 PM
Thanks for the info, my problem is I can not upload or download at any size?
nader 11/5/2010 12:28 PM
Dears,

Dont forget to TICK the allow metabase editing property, This will aloow you to cheange the properties while iis is running, otherwise this wont work and nothing will be saved. CHANGE IT BEFORE EDITING THE AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed parameter.

Cheers all.
Alaa AbuTaleb 1/14/2011 9:05 PM
Hey, I've been looking for a solutions to the upload error and I've found the AspBufferingLimit solutions but C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\MataBase.xml does not contain any variables named AspBufferingLimit. Any ideas?
Justin 12/5/2011 2:57 PM
Hello,
I am using IIS 6.0 with windows server 2003 as my hosting environment fro a asp.net web application.

Problem is that one of the two web application using same code base , same database with same folder structure on the server, one website say www.example.com takes arround 20 sec to load a pgae (image) while another website say www.example2.com takes only 3-4 seconds to load the same page.

We looked into this issue and found that the difference in both of the website is the amount of data.

www.example1.com has around 50,000 folders while www.example2.com has few thousand folder of data.

We have found the amount of data as a solid cause of the slow loading page issue.

But surprisingly, for NTFS such amount of data should not be a big problem. But we replicate this problem on the www,example2.com by adding the big amount of data.

Can anyone tell me if IIS 6.0 has some limitation on the amount of data to traverse that is causing the page load so much slow?

A quick answer will be appreciable.

Thanks
Rupendra 12/11/2011 11:13 PM
has anyone encountered an upload limit restriction using DoD Common Access Card for SSL authentication. We have IIS 6 configured to allow uploads up to 200MB and have successfully uploaded 200MB when using SSL authentication Non-CAC.  However, when invoking CAC authentication we're limited to 64MB.  I would believe if it was a REQUEST.BINARYREAD restriction (65536KB) we would see the throttling using either protocols.  Any idea's would greatly appreciated.
Jim 12/11/2012 10:12 AM