These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Virtual directory pointing to a network share/UNC

WexFree will display "Error opening folder !" when trying to access a virtual directory on a member server where the virtual directory points to a share on a Windows 2k member server. WexFree is on IIS 6/W2k3. I can access the directory through the virtual directory by going directly to "http://server/vd" if "Allow Folder Browsing" is checked in IIS. I can also add a share on the local machine, and make a virtual directory in IIS that points to say "\\ThisMachine\Share" and try to use it in WexFree and it will work! But not with a share on another computer. It used to, but not now in this environment. It is very crucial that we fix this problem as fast as possible, as we are going live in a few days!

Thanks,
Travis
Travis Howle 6/9/2004 6:06 PM
I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone have and good ideas that may help me.
Travis Howle 6/10/2004 4:13 PM
This used to work on my test network, but now will not. hmmm
Travis Howle 6/10/2004 5:21 PM
If you need any other information please get with me. I REALLY need this to be fixed! Its urgent.
Travis Howle 6/10/2004 5:32 PM
Travis,
I think you should enable pass-through with IIS, please read the article Enabling Pass-through-authentication for IIS 4 and IIS 5, it should be helpful for IIS 6 too.
Cem Alacayir 6/11/2004 5:03 AM
Okay, Let me try that. Thanks for your help.

PS: You're welcome for those posts to the other topics ;) Hope they helped.
Travis Howle 6/11/2004 2:31 PM
Nope, That didn't work. I disabled Anonymous access to that virtual directory, and set the settings for it as said to in the article oyu posted. but it wont work. Should there be some sort of provleges set on the remote server? I really need help of this one, If you cna help me by email or looking at my settings please let me know.
Travis Howle 6/11/2004 3:04 PM
See, This is weird, Its not even authenticating... I think something is wrong. I set it to make u authentucate when u try to view that virtual directory. And I try to login as domain\username and username@domain but it WONT WORK, Not even local users can authenticate.
Travis Howle 6/11/2004 3:19 PM
If I use no authentication and allow Anonymous access to that virtual directory I can look at folders via http://server/virt_folder and it works.... But if I use Digest authentucation for AD it wont work, integrated windows auth, wont work, none of those will authenticate me....
Travis Howle 6/11/2004 3:20 PM
Does MDAC have to be on the IIS machine, and the machine with the share... just to view it. When I use wexlite it says error opening folder, but where it shows the path (top-left) i can click it and it will show my files.
Travis Howle 6/11/2004 3:30 PM
man, what could be wrong ?!?!?! :S
Travis Howle 6/12/2004 2:59 PM
... Pushing launch date. Please help
Travis Howle 6/14/2004 1:38 AM
Okay, Got a few days left. Really need help..

http://webdev.ballard.k12.ky.us/wexlite/Default.asp  (Pass = "1234")

http://webdev.ballard.k12.ky.us/students >> virtual directory WexLite looks for files in

please help
Travis Howle 6/16/2004 7:05 PM
Travis,
Sorry for my late responses, I am a bit busy currently.
Thanks for your replies to other questions on the forum, I can see that you are a very active user of this forum :)

Here is an other article that I think, can solve your problem:
Why can't I access a database or text file on another server?
In this article there are also some links to Microsoft's KB articles, I'm sure it will help you find out the cause.
Cem Alacayir 6/17/2004 7:33 PM
None of that worked. Do you have MSN Messenger or anything I can use to contact you. Please. I really have to get this to work.
Travis Howle 6/17/2004 10:21 PM
When I run the file that http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197964 states, I just get an internal server error. PS: Please let me have your MSN Address or AIM, anything we cna talk on.
Travis Howle 6/17/2004 10:25 PM
+ I'm using IIS 6.0, Could that be a problem.. All of those articles work with IIS up to 5.0.
Travis Howle 6/17/2004 10:29 PM
Okay, After a few cokes, and long hours... and mostly playing around I've gotten it to work.

What I did:

Created a virtual directory called "Wex" and pointed it to the location on the local server of the WexLite files.

I made the username and password of the guest web user a accout that has 'God' (Administrative) privileges on the UNC share. From there, It works just perfect. Not sure why it does, But it does lol. I hope that this will help anyone else that has this same problem.

ps: Cem, If you would not mind I'll still be a regular user and come on this forum 5-6 times a day like I do to answer some questions to help ya out.

Thanks,
Travis
Travis Howle 6/17/2004 11:58 PM
I am glad that you have finally got it to work.
By the way, have you tried "Modify" privileges instead of "Full Control" for the guest web user, it would be more secure.

Of course I wouldn't mind, you are welcome.
Cem Alacayir 6/18/2004 4:48 AM
Hey Cem, Do you have a MSN address, or E-Mail I can contact you?
Travis Howle 6/21/2004 11:17 PM
I can't use private messengers frequently, you can only contact me by email at this time. I have sent you an email.
Cem Alacayir 6/24/2004 6:11 PM
I have the same problems with IIS6 on Windows Server 2003.  The Virtual Directory is on a Windows 2000 DC. I tried to follow your instructions without success. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chris
Chris Quan 12/6/2004 6:42 PM
Wait a minute. It works. Thanks.

Chris
Chris Quan 12/6/2004 6:51 PM
I spoke too soon. It works only on the root level of the remote shared folder on the DC. When I click to get into any sub folder, the same problem persists. It works perfectly opening it directly on server machine.

Chris
Chris Quan 12/6/2004 7:10 PM
Alright, it works again :-). I had to uncheck all of the Windows Integrated authentication and only enable anonymous access. Then, I change the anonymous user to a domain user. Since I am using a domian users, I modify the source code and disable all link clicks and manipulations. 

I only use it to display the content of the directory. They can only click on the folder to get into it. Clicking on the link will not open the files.

Now I can go take a shower :-).  

Chris
Chris Quan 12/6/2004 7:17 PM
Hi, I have the same problem that shows this thread...

I have IIS 5 and W2000 Server named WSERVER. 

I create a virtual folder named VIRTUAL going to a \\machinename\shareddirectory.

When I go to http:\\WSERVER\VIRTUAL, everything goes fine.

I try to work with WexFree  with this parameter:

Const wexRoot = "/VIRTUAL"

But I have "Error opening folder!"

Why????

Thanks for your help... please help me... my head is on the table.....

jprieto@isertia.com
jprieto 3/10/2006 4:04 AM
Hi,
Going to http:\\WSERVER\VIRTUAL directly in your browser is not the same thing as accessing the virtual folder from WexLite. The difference is the context of the executing user. 

In the first case, you are accessing to the remote share in the context of the user that you provided while creating the virtual folder in IIS manager (it can be changed with "Connect As" button). 

In the second case, IIS executes WexLite in the context of anonymous user (by default IUSR_Machinename) so you are accessing to the remote share in the context of the user IUSR_Machinename and if this user doesn't have enough permissions on the remote share, WexLite will fail.

So what you need to do are firstly making the other computer (where the shared folder is located) recognize this anonymous user and secondly grant "Modify/Change" permission on the shared folder.

You can accomplish the first part in one of two ways:

1. Configure the anonymous account as a domain account.

This permits anonymous requests from potential access to resources across the network. To prevent all anonymous requests from having network access, you must only make the anonymous account a domain account on the virtual directories that specifically require access. 

2. Configure the anonymous account with the same username and password on the computer that is sharing the network resources and then disable Automatic Password Synchronization.

If you do this you must make sure that the passwords match exactly. This approach must only be used when the "Configure the anonymous account as a domain account" mentioned earlier is not an option for some reason. 

The second part concerning the permissions is easy, just add "Modify/Change" permissions for the anonymous user (which you made recognizable in first part) on the shared folder in "Sharing" tab of the properties dialog.

I guess this covers all.

Please examine these articles if you are stuck, they will be very helpful:
How to create a virtual directory on an existing Web site to a folder that resides on a remote computer
How to access network files from IIS applications
How to Enable Pass-through Authentication for UNC Virtual Directories
Cem Alacayir 3/16/2006 7:21 PM