These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Multiple users and folders permissions

Hi. We need a file manager that can handle the following scenario: 5 "levels" (or "groups") of users, say "level01", "level02" and so on. Group 01 is the lowest group. Users of group 1 should access only their home folders R/W. Users of level 2 should access the "level02" group folder (R/W) AND all home folders of "level01" users (Read-only). Users of level 3 should access the "level03" group folder (R/W) AND "level02" group folder (R-O) AND all home folders of "level01" users (R-O).  And so on: users of "level05" have all access (kinda super-admin I guess). I tried to implement such a model in your demo, but I failed. Perhaps it can be done using custom folders? Or (hopefully) I did miss some feature? If this model cannot be implemented in the application as is, would it be possible to set it up by a few modifications in source code? Thanks in advance.

Gian B.
Gian B. 9/17/2004 6:54 AM
Hi Gian,
Yes, you can implement this scenario. Follow these steps:

1. Create these groups: Group2, Group3, Group4 and Group5.

2. Make level 2 (so-called) users member of Group2 with R/W permissions. Make level 3 users member of Group3 with R/W permissions and member of Group2 with R-O permission. Make level 4 users member of Group4 with R/W permissions and member of Group2 and Group3 with R-O permission. Make level 5 users member of all 4 groups with full permissions.

3. Create a custom path pointing to the service folder "Users", i.e the folder where home folders are created. Then make Group2, Group3 and Group4 member of this custom path with R-O permission. This will let read-only access to home folders for these 3 groups.

Let me know if this implementation is ok.
Cem Alacayir 9/20/2004 7:47 PM
Cem,
thanks for your reply.
Im'glad to see that the solution you suggest is exactly what I need. In fact, I tried to set up something like that in the online demo, but I failed because custom paths are locked. My company is strongly interested in purchasing this application, you will probably get our order in the next few days.

Best Regards,

Gian B.
Gian B. 9/22/2004 5:14 PM
Gian,
I am glad that this implementation is what you need. By the way, I need to lock custom paths feature in the demo because of security risks.

Thanks for your interest in this software and thanks in advance for your order.
Cem Alacayir 9/22/2004 5:24 PM