These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

random incorrect overwriting of files

Our client has reported that sometimes the folder they are uploading to will be the wrong one... so that if they are trying to upload index.html to folder A it might accidently upload to folder B and overwrite the index.html file there.  They have said that this seems to be happening randomly.

This is a great concern to us -- have you seen anything like this before and, if so, can it be fixed?  It's possible it's user error, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks, Courtney
Courtney 5/5/2005 11:11 AM
Hi Courtney,
I have not received any error report about this before. I think this is unlikely a bug as I guess the cause of the problem. 

Probably, the user opens the upload window, uploads some files and then browses to another folder in the application's main window without closing the upload window. Then he tries to upload new files, however the previously opened upload window belongs to the previous folder but he forgets about this and thinks he is uploading to the current folder.

If you are sure this is not the case then let me know.
Cem Alacayir 5/12/2005 7:22 PM
You're right; that was it.  I'm glad it's more just a usability / user issue, because we can work around that.  I suppose a suggestion for the future would be then to have the upload window close after uploading?  

Thanks much, Courtney
Courtney 5/12/2005 8:00 PM