These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Custom Authentication

Hi, 

I have implemented FileVista within my own application. Its a great app, but i want to get rid of the login and logout functionality, since my application has its own cookie based authentication. When i try using Forms authentication i still get the login screen and once i enter admin/admin i get an "object refernce not set to an instance of an object". ALso is it posible to make a version that doesn't let you delete or rename anything?

Thanks
Nick Pavlou 3/24/2006 5:03 AM
Nick

We have a work around to stop the need to login, by modifying the login page to submit the default user and login info to filevista on the click of a button.

As for the delete or rename just make the files read only on the server if they are static. Not tried directories that may also work.

Cheers
Tim Norton 3/30/2006 2:53 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the help Tim.

I would apreciate it if i was sent the modified version of the filevista application, or dlls. Since the version i received after buying it only included the aspx pages, not the cs codebehind files. 

Kind Regards

Lee
Nick Pavlou 3/31/2006 7:24 AM
Nick / Lee

Just modify the Filevista login page

<input type = "hidden" name="username" type="text" value="admin" style="width: 170px;">
                    <input type = "hidden" name="password" type="password" value="admin" style="width: 170px;">
                    <input name="submitButton" type="submit" value="AUTHENTICATE" style="width: 100px;">

this will give you a button "authenticate" once clicked you file go into filevista. I added some text to the login page as well to inform the user.

Hopefully Cem will have a new enhanced version of this great app soon so we do not have to do this sort of work around.

Also you will need more than one copy of filevista on your machine if you use it for more than one app.

We access filevista via an iframe

Cheers

Tim
Tim Norton 4/4/2006 4:46 AM
Many thanks Tim
Nick Pavlou 4/4/2006 8:55 AM
Just tried it out. I guess there is no real point in using this method, since you still have to press a button to make it work...Isn't there a way of going straight to the default.aspx page without login in?..

Nick
Nick Pavlou 4/5/2006 3:52 AM
Is there anyway to modify the javascript (login.js or utility.js) to automatically let me in?
Nick Pavlou 4/5/2006 4:38 AM
As you can probably tell, im pretty desperate to get this thing working like its supposed to
Nick Pavlou 4/5/2006 4:39 AM
Hi guys,
Nick, authentication logic built in FileVista works as follows: if a windows user is already authenticated, then use the username to login else if the user is anonymous then prompt for credentials.
So if you disable anonymous authentication in IIS then FileVista will understand this and no login page wil be displayed and the authenticated windows user will be used instead.

I promised some of you, especially Tim that we will release a multi-user version with the admin features but we have passed the deadline and as an apology I will send for free to you, all who bought a FileVista Single User License until this time, the full source-code package so that you can have full control on the application to make your urgent modifications. You will receive an email shortly.
Cem Alacayir 4/10/2006 7:39 PM
Hi Cem,

Many Thanks. Much appreciated..YOU ARE A STAR!!!!
Nick Pavlou 4/12/2006 10:15 AM