These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Securing the Database and FileServer Folders

Cem,

1 - I am able to get the database off of the web root into a private data directory.  I need to know how to refer to it in inc_config.asp.  I know that it is the line:
pathDb = "./db/wexserver.mdb".  Assuming my root has two directories: wwwroot and dataWhere do I go from there?

2 - I want to secure my FileServer folders.  I am not able to directly control individual permissions on the folders - only 'full permissions' through an online control panel.  How do I move these folders 'offline' or otherwise protect them?

3 - I want to upgrade to the un-encrypted version so I can customize it, how do I pay you for that?

Thanks, 

Daniel M.

Daniel M. 4/6/2006 1:46 PM
Hi Daniel,

1. As you are moving the db to a folder on the same level as wwwroot folder, you can't reference the db file with a virtual path so you should reference it with a physical path. First find out the physical path of your web root /. For instance if it's c:\mydomain\wwwroot then the db file can be referenced as c:\mydomain\data\wexserver.mdb.
So set pathDb like

pathDb = "c:\webhost\data\wexserver.mdb"

You should also change the line

strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & server.MapPath(pathDb)

to

strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & pathDb

as pathDb is a physical path.

2. The best way to protect your service folders should be moving them outside of wwwroot like you moved the db file. For example, you can move wwwroot\FileServer to data\FileServer and set the new service folder paths on administration page like c:\webhost\data\FileServer\Users, c:\webhost\data\FileServer\Groups, c:\webhost\data\FileServer\Admins
This way the files under these folders will be only accessible according to the permissions defined in WebExplorer Server and will not be accessible via guessing the URL.

3. You can upgrade to the source code license by just paying the difference in cost, I have sent the details via email.
Cem Alacayir 4/6/2006 11:51 PM
Cem,
Thank you for the instructions on securing the database and the FileServer folders.  Both instructions worked perfectly and did exactly what I needed.  
Also, thanks for the upgrade information.

Thanks again.
Daniel
Daniel M. 4/7/2006 2:38 AM
I would like to upgrade to WebExplorer Server source license too. Please tell me how to do that.
Roger Farano 5/19/2006 10:48 AM