These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

FileVista Login Error

Well I have successfully installed/configured FileVista on my internal websever, which is not public (yet), I can login to the admin section just fine, and configure however I need to, but when I try to login to the standard interface, as a user I created, once I hit 'Login', the page flashes and I am presented with the same Login Screen, no errors are reported and I am not logged in.

I would really like to get this app working, because I feel it can replace the File Manager I have now.  Any help would be appricated.
Jeff 5/31/2007 7:41 AM
Hi Jeff,
Have you defined any root folders and associated it with the user? There should be at least one accessible root folder. Also make sure the path you use for the root folder is valid and accessible.
Cem Alacayir 5/31/2007 7:51 AM
Yeah, I have root folder associated with the said user(s), the path is accessible, as I can upload files to it via the admin section, or by putting files there and having the software find them next time I log into the admin section.
Jeff 5/31/2007 10:07 AM
1. Please make sure while you are trying to login as a normal user, the page you are at is /filevista/ and not /filevista/administration.aspx. When you log out from the administration section, the address bar will be still pointing to administration.aspx.

2. Do you use any weird (non alpha numeric) characters  in user names?

If one of these is not the issue, it would be good if you can provide me an URL to your installation via email.
Cem Alacayir 5/31/2007 10:38 AM
When I log out of the admin panel, I normally type /filevista/Login.aspx and use the exact url, the username and password are all very basic, and dont contain any wierd characters, I have confirmed this on Firefox 2 and IE 7,  My Install of Filevista isnt live yet, and its standard protocal not to make something live until we have fully tested it internally.  I can provide screenshots and settings of my install if needs be.
Jeff 5/31/2007 1:02 PM
The problem is typing /filevista/Login.aspx, you should type /filevista/ or /filevista/default.aspx because login.aspx is called in the background. When you type login.aspx, it enters in a loop thus you can't pass through the login page.
Cem Alacayir 5/31/2007 4:37 PM
I will give that a try, and see what it gives me.

So Default.aspx will present me with the login screen, and I log in normally?

As for the Admin section, I need to go to Filevista/Administration.aspx?

Jeff 5/31/2007 4:45 PM
Ok, I should have tested it prior to posting the messege, I tried the way you suggested, and it seems to work fine, but I still have the problem of when I enter my login information, and hit 'Login', it just hangs at the screen, and doesnt do anything.  Hitting refresh however will give me the User Interface of Filevista.
Jeff 5/31/2007 4:48 PM
The last problem seems to be a browser cache issue, I think it still remembers login.aspx and does not redirect to default.aspx thus the hanging effect. Try closing and reopening the browser or try Firefox to see if it's a browser cache issue. Let me know.
Cem Alacayir 5/31/2007 6:17 PM
I tried in FF2.0, and it seem to work as intended, problem is we would end up using it in a live envoriment, and having clients login and download files we put in there directory prior to them getting login info.  

Thing is though, we have to assume our clients have no computer skills, and we need it to work 100% of the time with no errors / down time.  This is the reason we are looking at other options for File Management, our current solution has issues, and its not the same error every time.

But to be honest, I love the support we are getting from you, and this will be very good leverage when pitching this to my boss.
Jeff 5/31/2007 8:30 PM
Just to let you know, this behaviour is fixed in version 2.2. Calling login.aspx is safe now, it will just redirect to root (default.aspx) and will not cause hanging problem anymore.
Cem Alacayir 6/20/2007 10:46 AM