These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Upload of a directory

Hi,  
  do you plan to offer upload function of an entire directory? This feature born from needs of our customers who want to upload a directory and all its files with one step.
Now it's no possible unless I use the zip function before. 

thanks
M.G.
Mimmo Gigante 6/16/2007 3:49 PM
The web browser upload standards do not allow uploading of an entire folder so it's not possible to implement it without a dependancy on a browser plugin or control.

We are working on a feature that will allow the user to select all files in a folder for upload. Selecting the subfolders is still not possible though. This feature will be dependant on Flash plugin which is available on almost everyone's web browser.
Cem Alacayir 6/19/2007 9:27 AM
This feature is in version 2.1 and possibly before (though it may not be exactly what you want).  It is called "Compress and download" in the context menu (right-click on Windows browsers).  It zips up an entire folder tree and then downloads that file.  It's working for us.
Scott Gartner 6/28/2007 3:26 PM
Oops, sorry, I misread it as download of a directory.  My mistake.  However, why couldn't they do the reverse and allow you to upload a zip and expand it in place.  I know some image gallery programs allow that.
Scott Gartner 6/28/2007 3:28 PM
Hi Scott,
Actually "Compress and Download" feature had been available since the first version.

Also "Upload and Extract" feature had been available too, i.e. you upload the zip file first and then extract it from the context menu.

However, Mimmo means uploading the entire folder without any compression involved in the process. So uploading and downloading an entire folder is possible with FileVista when you use the compression options.
Cem Alacayir 6/28/2007 3:43 PM
Thanks Cem, I didn't know that existed in the tool at all.  
Scott Gartner 6/28/2007 3:47 PM
Let me take this moment to request the ability to edit posts in the forum so that my stupid comments can be removed ;-)
Scott Gartner 6/28/2007 3:49 PM
No problem Scott, actually your comments are pretty logical because there is no one-click "Upload and Extract" feature as the one-click feature "Compress and Download", you first upload the zip file than extract it manually from the context menu. So I take it as a good feature suggestion.

Thanks.
Cem Alacayir 6/28/2007 3:57 PM