These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

setup.aspx fails to recognize database

I'm using debug mode in Visual Studio 2k5 to test FileVista out.  Browsing to default.aspx immediately shoots me to setup.aspx, as expected.  Clicking through the Next buttons and keeping defaults doesn't work -- it keeps shooting me back to the setup.aspx page asking for the database info.  The DB is located where it is listed and my windows user has full rights to the file.

I should mention, Firebug console on firefox is listing an error in the javascript:

enableElement is not defined:

enableElement('AccessFilePath', true, null, true); 

This is in the function that's called when the Next button is clicked on the database location page.

Any ideas?
Brandon 6/28/2007 9:34 AM
I'm guessing this has something to do with the Visual Studio virtual IIS thingy.  That or something isn't right in the web.config -- because the browser doesn't load anything from pages beneath the root directory.  That includes all images (which are broken images on the page) and, assumedly, scripts.  Soo. . .anybody know a reason for this?
Brandon 6/28/2007 11:40 AM
Brandon,
Firstly why are you using Visual Studio to run the application? The trial version is the end-user version not a developer version so it does not include any source code or project files. You just need to install it on IIS and run it by calling a local url like http://localhost/filevista.

The problem arises because you are trying to run the application on Visual Studio's Web Server and setup.aspx hangs because some files like web.config can not be loaded. It works differently than IIS, all the files should be part of the Visual Studio project so that it can see them.
Cem Alacayir 6/28/2007 3:31 PM
Cem, thanks for your help.  I'll try creating the project first tomorrow and then dragging and dropping the FileVista into it.  I am wanting to test out a few different ways with the authentication to see if it's worth purchasing, so it'll be easier if I can just get it to work this way.

Sure thing I'd like to test everything on a full-blown server, but at the moment the only one is our production server.  Not gonna test on that one if I don't need to, policy of mine I haven't broken yet.

Thanks.
Brandon 6/28/2007 4:28 PM