These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Root folder set to %home?

Is it possible to set a root folder to an AD variable like %home? I have many users and want each of them to be rooted to their AD home folder. This requires many defined roots if I cannot use this AD variable.
lorennerol 9/7/2007 5:21 PM
Actually, there is a built-in feature to accomplish this task but it's not related to AD. You can do it by defining only one root folder.

The idea is using place holder word {user.name}. For instance, you want your users to have home folders under main folder "c:\AllUsers" . You create a root folder with path "c:\AllUsers\{user.name}" and with name "{user.name}'s Home Folder". Then you make a user for example named Loren member of this root folder and assign some permissions. 

Finally, when the user Loren logs in, she sees the root folder name as "Loren 's Home Folder" and she sees the contents of the path "c:\AllUsers\Loren"
Cem Alacayir 9/20/2007 7:42 AM
Thanks, Cem. In this instance I have to use AD authentication to keep other issues manageable. Will this variable still work if users are logging into FileVista using an AD username/account?

Off topic, if there is any way to get logging (login, upload, download, delete, etc) built into the next version I'd have a bunch of clients ready to switch over from HTTP Commander.
lorennerol 9/21/2007 1:51 PM
Yes, this variable will also work with AD users. Note that AD user names in format "domain/username" contains the path separator character "/" thus "c:\{user.name}" will resolve to the path "c:\domain\username".

The logging feature is being considered and may be ready for the next version. I will let you know.
Cem Alacayir 9/23/2007 8:04 AM
I would like to use this feature {user.name}, but i would need it, so it does only expand to "username" and not to "domain\username".

Would this be possible?

Best regards.
Andreas Baur 9/17/2013 3:41 AM