These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Question about uploading method

Hi Cem-

Are you storing uploaded files in RAM or in a temp folder?

If you are using RAM, is FileVista constrained by the IIS upload size limit?

Also, in my test implementation there is a delay of several minutes from the time the file is uploaded with FileVista to the time it appears in the file system and in FileVista. Is this normal?

Thanks!
lorennerol 9/24/2007 10:20 AM
The uploaded files are never stored in RAM, they are directly written to disk, to minimize the use of server resources. 

This makes possible to upload files of 2GB in size. 2GB is the maximum possible size that current browsers can post and IIS can accept.

Regarding the delay,
The uploaded files are written directly to a temporary folder on disk. This temporary folder is FileVista/App_Data/upload by default. After the upload is complete, the files are moved to the target location. So if the file is huge and the target location is on a different disk or partition, then you may notice a delay during this move process.

If this is the case, then you can use a temporary upload folder which is on the same disk or partition as your target root folders. This way, the move process will be instant and you will not notice a delay. The temporary upload folder is set during first run of setup.aspx so at this point you will need to change this setting manually by opening the database file and changing the value of "UploadTempFolder" key in Configuration table. You can enter a physical or virtual path for this value. After the change, please restart the application (by saving web.config for eg.) so that the change takes in effect.

Let me know.
Cem Alacayir 10/1/2007 10:33 AM
Hi Cem-

Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately, the delay (approx 2 minutes) happens even with tiny files (300 byte text files), so it isn't a file copy delay.

Best-

Loren
lorennerol 10/1/2007 10:55 AM
I am experiencing the same delay. Were you able to figure out how to resolve it?
Peter 10/22/2007 11:43 AM
No, we haven't. Can you provide more information, for instance do you use a network folder?
Cem Alacayir 10/24/2007 5:57 PM
Yes, I use a network share and a domain account for access, both servers are in same domain but different DMZ seperated by Firewall. One of the test I ran is to change the temp upload to share on the remote server. The upload function puts the file on the remote server right away, but does not move the temp file over to the correct location until much later. Also checked blocked ports in the firewall, but didn't find any so I don't think it's a firewall issue. 
Peter 10/30/2007 5:42 AM
I spent a lot more time testing this issue, I found it has probably nothing to do with permission, share, domain, or firewall. I created a new folder in my old root folder, and made the empty folder a root folder by itself. The upload was working right away. So I think it has to do with the number of files/folders under your root folder structure. My root folder with problems has about 400 direct subfolders and 26K total folders and 360K total files.

Let me know if you can think of anyway to resolve this issue.
Peter 10/30/2007 7:37 AM
The delay was occuring in crowded folders only. This is because the used space of the folder is calculated resursively for determining remaining size of the quota limit. This calculation is done just before moving the uploaded file to the target folder thus you see the temporary upload file stay there for sometime.

As of version 2.8, this problem is fixed.
Cem Alacayir 11/8/2007 10:09 AM