These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Language File

Hi,

We created in the folder App_data\languages our own german translated file called de-CH.xml.

I couldn't find any information, how to activate our file. 
Martin Schaible 10/26/2007 10:11 AM
Anybody out there?
Martin Schaible 10/28/2007 6:23 PM
Hi Martin,
As of version 2.7, the multi language support is not fully functional. What you did is correct but you need to rename de-CH.xml to en-US.xml because the application will load only the default language file at this time.

Also note that, the current language file includes only a portion of the user interface.

However, we completed the multi language support in our newly released ASP.NET control FileVistaControl. So version 2.8 of FileVista which will make use of FileVistaControl will also include the full language support.

Version 2.8 will be released shortly.

Cem Alacayir 10/29/2007 8:35 AM
Hello Cem,

This sounds good to us. If you like, we would take care to translate the upcoming version to german.

We bought already one license for a customer, and we decided to use your product as an add-on for our hosting packages.
Martin Schaible 10/29/2007 9:32 AM
We have released version 2.8 which supports the multiple languages completely.

I would be glad if you send me your german language files.

Here is the intructions for creating language files:

Language files are simple XML files and kept under FileVista\languages and FileVista\FileVistaControl\languages folders. The first folder contains the languages of the administration pages and the other folder contains the languages of the main folder browsing page (ie. FileVistaControl). To create a new language file, make copies of en.xml in both folders and rename them to the standard language name. For instance, rename them to de.xml for german language. Edit the new xml files and translate each string element but do not modify the key attributes. If a string includes a place holder {0}, do not forget to include it in the translated string too. You can create language files also for specific cultures. For instance, you can create de-DE.xml for German in Germany. FileVista will first look for specific culture name (de-DE.xml) and if the file is not found, it will load the general language (de.xml). Whenever you create a language file or modify an existing one, please restart the application (eg. via saving web.config) so that the changes take into effect. 
Cem Alacayir 11/8/2007 12:21 PM
I started the translation right now and it will be finished in the next few days.
Martin Schaible 1/4/2008 10:25 AM
The translation is done, except one string.

It's quite hard to find a meanful german word for "traverse".
Martin Schaible 1/10/2008 3:55 PM
How about Durchquerung or Spielraum words? It should indicate the meaning of "travel/walk through the folder tree"

Maybe you should see which word Microsoft uses on permission entry dialog box  in german Windows ? You can reach that dialog box by following the similar screenshots in this page.

Let me know.
Cem Alacayir 1/21/2008 7:02 AM
We will find a word for "Traverse" for sure. You're translation is quite funny: "spielraum" would be playground in english which is in reality not really wrong ;-)
Martin Schaible 1/21/2008 3:42 PM
It's strange because Altavista's Babel Fish Translation site translated "Travel" to "Spielraum" thus I wrote it. I guess "Reisen" may be a better match.

Anyway, it's your native language so I am sure you will find the best match not me :)
Cem Alacayir 1/21/2008 5:35 PM