These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Download size limit

Hi,

I have now got an operational FileVistaControl (i'm still amazed how i did it, because i have never used Visual Studio before, nor am i a programmer/website builder) and it is now authenticating perfectly with my test Active Directory server, giving or denying access where needed!

It does follow NTFS rules, giving an "access denied" on delete, for instance, if NTFS rights for a user are read only, but i expected using the Permissions="Traverse, List" etc etc command only for Compress and Exctract. If NTFS is Read Only for the logged on user, delete should be greyed out automatically, i think.

One other thing i have noticed, is that when i select Download on a 4Gb file, nothing happens.

Other than these 2 issues, i think your FileVista product is excellent!
Robert 10/27/2007 1:10 AM
Hi Robert,
Thanks for the feedback.
We tried to make the integration of the control as easy as possible. I am glad you are using the control without any hassle.

Actually, the control does not check NTFS permissions of the logged on user at first place, however it will obey NTFS permissions at the end like any other application. However, the control is very flexible so you can make the control aware of the logged on user's NTFS permissions on a specific root folder when you load the control programmatically.

You will need to retrieve the logged on user's NTFS permissions from Active Directory and assign the correspondent FileVistaPermissions to the Permissions property of the control in Page_Load event of the page where you load the control programmatically.

Regarding the download problem, it may be related to the problem discussed in this KB article:
FIX: You cannot download large files from an ASP.NET application on a computer that is running IIS 6.0

Let me know.
Cem Alacayir 10/29/2007 9:06 AM
Hi,

I'm afraid programattically is a little out of my scope :) But good to know that it can be achieved!

I have obtained the hotfix, but it is not installing as i already have SP1 installed on my Windows 2003 R2 install (it is a pre-SP1 hotfix).
Robert 10/29/2007 11:42 PM
Please test with a different browser such as Firefox. IE 6 has a known problem with downloading files larger than 2GB.

Other than that I recommend you to upgrade to Windows 2003 SP2. 

Let me know.
Cem Alacayir 11/8/2007 3:25 PM
Sorry for hihacking a two year old thread, but having the same problem. Can't download anything over 2 GB. An error is logged by ASP.Net:

Process name: w3wp.exe 
Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Exception information: 
Exception type: HttpException 
Exception message: File is too large (>2GB).

I also get this:
   Stack trace:    at GleamTech.Web.FileTransfer.DownloadManager.TransmitFile(HttpContext httpContext, String filePath, Boolean inline)
   at GleamTech.Web.Controls.DownloadHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext httpContext)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

This machine is running Windows Server 2008 with IIS 7.0. It is 32 bit. Is that the problem? I don't see any settings in machine.config, web.config, etc., that would cause the download size to be limited, in fact a Google search of download limits in IIS 7.0 has come up pretty much blank.
Richard 4/21/2009 1:42 PM
Hi Richard,
Currently, there is a built-in limit of 2GB in the download module of FileVistaControl. We will do some tests with IIS and modify the download module if possible.
Cem Alacayir 4/28/2009 2:51 PM
Ouch! I wish this had been documented, I spent days trying to fix it!

The capability to download large files is important to my application, please make it a priority.
Richard 6/4/2009 1:07 PM
There is a limit in IIS.
Is not a problem of file vista Control.
You must cut the file in a small size of (for example) 2 GB.
Nicola Moscardo 6/5/2009 12:37 AM
Hi,
We will improve the maximum allowed download size (2GB) of FileVistaControl but it seems most browser and IIS versions actually support maximum size upto 4GB.

Here is a list of browser and IIS versions regarding support of http download of files with size over 2GB and 4GB (very large files):

Software                                      Download limit    Other behavior 

IE 6.0.3790.3959 (W2003 SP2)         4GB                  Progress does not work for files over 2GB. Files over 4GB truncated with size mod 4GB

IE 7.0.5730.13 (XP SP2)                  4GB                  Files over 4GB truncated with size mod 4GB

IE 7.0.6000.16575 (Vista)                4GB                  Files over 4GB truncated with size mod 4GB

Firefox 2.0.0.11                             >4GB                 Correct download with any size.

IIS5 (XP profesional)                       2GB                  Server error 500 over the limit 

IIS6 (W2003 SP2)                          >4GB 
Cem Alacayir 6/8/2009 2:29 AM
In my environment I have no problem instructing users to use a particular browser for large downloads.

I have just downloaded a 7 GB file from my IIS 7 Web server (just downloaded from a directory, not using FileVista). Using Safari, no problems at all.

2 GB isn't really an unusually large file anymore (think DVD images). This will be a bigger problem as time goes on. Thanks for your efforts.
Richard 6/10/2009 2:37 PM
Cem,

Any news on this? I really need to be able to download 8-16GB files. I have verified that IIS 7 has no problem with them if I just download them directly through a browser without using FileVistaControl.
Richard 2/4/2010 11:12 AM
Hi Richard,
We actually worked on this feature.
I have sent you an update for downloading files larger than 2 GB.
We will include this update in the next release.
Please let us know your test results.
Cem Alacayir 2/17/2010 6:54 PM
It works! Thanks a lot.

Richard 3/2/2010 12:41 PM
FYI, this feature is now included in v1.9.
Cem Alacayir 3/22/2010 3:33 PM