These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Questions

I am new to the concept of this software and I am unfamiliar with how to set this up for a demo.
I have a test machine but am unfamiliar with databases.  How can I actually access this file server from another machine? Can clients transfer files using only Internet Explorer?
Also:
-Can the files be as large as 1GB?
-Is the operation intuitive? 
-Can the user accounts be managed such that the clients are able to create user credentials for their respective clients?  Can these accounts be managed by several people or just the admin?
-Can user accounts automatically be disabled after a few days?

Thank you in advance.
Chris 11/8/2007 10:13 AM
What I am really looking for are some detailed instructions on setting FileVista up.  What are the requirements?  
I have tried just the basic install on a test PC but when trying to run setup.aspx I am getting the error message: CANNOT VIEW xml INPUT USING xsl STYLE SHEET.
Please advise.
Chris 11/9/2007 2:19 PM
Hi Chris,
This is a web application so you need Internet Information Services (IIS) and ASP.NET 2.0. IIS is found only on server operating systems so you need Windows 2000/2003 or Windows XP Professional at least.
You get that error message because you are trying to open setup.aspx directly in Internet Explorer, this is not a .html page so you can't do this.

In the distribution package, there is file named FileVista.msi. Run this file to install the application on a compatible OS as noted above automatically. Then you can run the application by entering "http://localhost/filevista" in the address bar of Internet Explorer.

Regarding your other questions,
- Yes, files can be as large as 1GB. Actaully files upto 2GB can be uploaded.
- Yes, using the application is very easy as the user interface is very similar to "Windows Explorer".
- No, as of version 2.8, there is only one administrator account but multiple administrators feature will be available in v3.0.
- Yes, you can disable users manually anytime.
Cem Alacayir 11/12/2007 5:58 AM
Thank you for the instructions.
I have some further questions:  I see I can create new users / groups, can I adjust their permissions (do I not have access to this in the trial version)?
How do I actually access FileVista from another computer (using a test account I have set up)?

Thank you.
Chris 11/13/2007 10:24 AM
Additional question:
- Are the users, or can they be, linked to Active Directory?

Chris 11/13/2007 10:45 AM
You can adjust the user/group permissions on the "Root Folder Properties" dialog window (even in trial version).

You access FileVista through the web server IIS. For example, like http://ComputerName/filevista or http://www.mywebsite.com/filevista

Active Directory authentication can be used as discussed in Active Directory Authentication.
Cem Alacayir 11/13/2007 6:50 PM
Excellent, thank you.
One last question for now, when I try to create a new folder I am getting the error "I/O error occured".  Please point me to how to fix this.

Thanks again.
Chris 11/15/2007 8:23 AM
you need to create the folder on the file system first.
Rajia 11/15/2007 8:08 PM
Actually as of version 2.8, when you create a new root folder in the administration section, the application will try to create the path if it does not exist. If you receive an error, this means, you don't have the required NTFS permissions on the folder.

Please refer to Permissions on folders for information on the required permissions.
Cem Alacayir 11/16/2007 5:23 PM
Thank you, that is very helpful.

I have tried searching the forums but didn't get any results in regards to my latest questions:
-Is https operation possible? Can one add a security certificate to the IIS platform so that uploads and downloads are secured? 
-Also is there any way to alert specific users that files have been uploaded and are available?
Chris 11/21/2007 7:32 AM
Chris,
- Using HTTPS is possible but we have not tested it throughly. However I know that some clients are using it without problems. Your feedback on this issue is appreciated.

- This feature is being worked on, it's not possible as of v2.8.1
Cem Alacayir 12/5/2007 3:51 AM
"Chris, 
- Using HTTPS is possible but we have not tested it throughly. However I know that some clients are using it without problems. Your feedback on this issue is appreciated."

I can confirm Im using FV over HTTPS no problem.
Damon 12/10/2007 6:02 AM