These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

PDF file truncature

I installed a FileVista V2.8 trial on a Windows 2003 std server. It works fine, and the functionnalities are exactly what I was looking for. Very good design!

But I found out that some PDF files I had uploaded couldn't be read back : the downloaded file is truncated and Acrobat cannot open it. For example a file of 207 616 bytes reads back with only the first 206048 bytes.

The file is correct in the server repository, so the problem is with the download. The problem occurs only with certain PDF files, other work perfectly.

I tried to upload/download a faulty file on the FileVista demo server, and it works fine. So the problem is probably in my server configuration.

What's going wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Herve 11/14/2007 6:55 AM
Hi,
Do you use any security/firewall software because it may interrupt the transmission of the file due to certain character chain found in the file. 

By the way, do you end up with the corrupted file again when you click the "Open With Browser" option on the context menu? Is the result same whether you use IE or Firefox?

Let me know.
Cem Alacayir 11/16/2007 5:09 PM
Hi

The server is in a DMZ behind a CISCO ASA 5505 but has no security/firewall software enabled.

At the server console, http://127.0.0.1/filevista gives also a truncated file.

I tried to open the file by double-clicking, downloading and "open with browser", and it is always corrupted.

The result is the same with Firefox and IE.
Herve 11/19/2007 2:00 AM
Can you let me know if the corruption problem exists or not with version 2.8.1? I have sent you the download link.
Cem Alacayir 11/20/2007 6:50 PM
I'd be happy to test this for you, but I didn't receive the link. Please send it once more.
Herve 11/21/2007 7:09 AM
The problem exists also with version 2.8.1 ...

But I finally found the origin of the problem. It is related to Enabling HTTP compression.

It turns out that somehow the "compress application files" checkbox had become checked under the service tab of the website properties.  

Removing the check, the file could be correctly transmitted.
Herve 12/3/2007 2:55 AM
I am glad you have found out the problem, thanks for the feedback.
Cem Alacayir 12/3/2007 10:12 AM
But do we know why the compression is part of the problem?  Some of us need/want to use the compression on our server.
Zachary 9/2/2008 11:32 AM
You can disable the compression for an individiual application only so you can still use it site wide. Please see the below article:
Enabling HTTP Compression (IIS 6.0)
Cem Alacayir 11/4/2008 3:17 PM