These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

FileVistaControl' does not have a strong name

Error    1    Assembly generation failed -- Referenced assembly 'GleamTech.Web.Controls.FileVistaControl' does not have a strong name    

My project assembly has a strong name and I can't build it when using your trial version control.  Does the licensed version have a strong name?
Dave 6/13/2008 8:25 AM
You can easily sign the required assemblies with the following commands in "Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt":

Create a key pair called sgKey.snk:

sn -k sgKey.snk

Sign the assembly GleamTech.Web.Controls.FileVistaControl.dll with a strong name using the key file sgKey.snk:

al /out:GleamTech.Web.Controls.FileVistaControl.dll GleamTech.Web.Controls.FileVistaControl /keyfile:sgKey.snk
Cem Alacayir 6/25/2008 7:42 AM
Use of Al.exe to strong name an assembly only works if the assembly manifest has not already been generated (aka: you have the source code). The only way to strong name an existing assembly without the source code is to use Ilasm.exe to convert the assembly to intermediate language, which doesn't work well when the assembly is Obsfucated (as the FileVistaControl assembly is).

I'm in the same boat as Dave and need a strong named assembly to evaluate your control before purchase. Could you please make a strong named version available?
Graham 11/15/2008 6:51 PM
Hi Graham,
You are right. I have sent you the strong named versions of the dlls via email. Let me know the results.
Cem Alacayir 11/20/2008 5:57 PM
Everything is working great. Thanks for the super quick response.
Graham 11/22/2008 2:48 PM
Hi there,

I read the post and I have the same problem. Can you send me the strong named versions of the dlls via email also?

Thanks in advance

Alex
Alexandre Alves 11/27/2008 4:49 AM
FYI, we now include strong named versions of the DLLs in the distribution package ("Strong-Named Assemblies" subfolder) starting with v1.7.
Cem Alacayir 6/18/2009 4:38 PM
Hi,

I am trying to load the strong named assemblies into the assembly cache on a windows 2008 R2 server using the .Net Framework 2.0 configuration tool and it gives me this error: 'Cannot Add Assembly - Unable to add the selected assembly. The assembly must have a strong name (name, version and public key).'

Am I doing something wrong?

Nathan.
Nathan 5/26/2010 2:42 PM
If you are using a version before 2.0 then the DLLs in the bin folder are not strong named. You can find the strong named versions of the DLLs separately in the "Strong-Named Assemblies" subfolder of the original distribution package.

However starting with v2.0, our DLLs are strongly named by default so you can load the DLLs from the bin folder.
Cem Alacayir 7/6/2010 8:44 AM