These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Resetting admin password

Is there a way to reset and/or retrieve the admin password if it has been lost or forgotten?  If I set the password field to NULL in the DB, will it allow be to login without a password, then reset it?
Miguel 7/30/2008 12:11 PM
The best way to recover admin account would be creating a new user and setting him the administrator. You can do this by setting "Administrator" value in Configuration table to the ID of the target user. Save web.config file to make sure that application settings is reloaded. You can then log in as this user which is now the administrator. After you change the old administrator's password on the administation page, you can reverse the above DB changes and make the old administrator again current administrator.
Cem Alacayir 8/8/2008 8:36 AM
FYI, after v3.5 there is the Administrators group instead of a single administrator user. So you can recover admin account by making a normal user (that you can log in with) member of the Administrators group.

Open the MS Access database FileVista.mdb, find the ID of “Administrators” group in Group table (it's generally 1) and find the ID of a user who you want to make the administrator. Then open Membership table and insert a new record with GroupID = the found admin group ID and UserID = the found user ID. This will make the specified user an administrator.

Save web.config file to make sure that application settings is reloaded. You can then log in as this user which is now the administrator.
Cem Alacayir 6/25/2009 3:36 PM

I have checked how to provide another user admin rights by placing a user in the admin group via the FileVista.mdb.

I also opened the web.config file and saved it.

But the user still has no options to edit other users or reset passwords.

I also tried to open edituser.aspx as this user after adjusting the database but I receive the message that the user has no permissions.

Is their a way to adjust the admin password or can you provide a way to solve this
Mark Schlebaum 12/21/2011 3:34 AM