These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Restrictions

Hi, How can I restrict the asp from being able to view all but one directory? and can I have multiple user's/passwords?
Tim 7/14/2002 4:01 PM
Hi,
Yes, you can do it by applying restricted NTFS permissions on the target folder. This way, WebExplorer will indicate an error message and will not list the contents of that folder.
You can have multiple users by disabling WebExplorer's internal password and removing anonymous access from WebExplorer's folder thus forcing NT challenge/response.
Cem Alacayir 7/15/2002 8:46 AM
I know its alot to ask, but could you email me detailed instructions explaining how to do that. Thanks :-)
Tim 7/15/2002 2:07 PM
Open the "Properties" dialog of the target folder from Windows Explorer, on the "Security" tab, add the user IUSR_MACHINENAME (Internet Guest Account). Then check "Deny" for "Full Control" on the permissions list for this account. After you follow these steps, ASP applications won't be able to access that folder in any way.
For having multiple users, open IIS (Internet Information Services) snap-in from control panel. On the snap-in, open the "Properties" dialog of the folder that WebExplorer resides. On this dialog, open "Directory Security" tab and then click "Edit". Uncheck "Anonymous access" on the dialog. Then whenever you want to access WebExplorer, a dialog box (NT challenge/response) will pop up and request Windows username and password. You may need to add users to the allowed user lists of the folder that WebExplorer resides. Beware that this will be a very simple and limited multiuser system, for example all users will have the same access list, quotas and settings, for a real multiuser management take a look at WebExplorer Server.
Cem Alacayir 7/17/2002 10:05 AM
Hi Cem,
I run WinXP pro and i don't have a security tab.. how can i disable the delete option w/out taking off the icon?
Shlomy 9/17/2002 12:38 PM
Hi Shlomy,
Go to Control Panel -> Appearance and Themes -> Folder Options -> "View" Tab and uncheck "Use simple file sharing" option at the bottom. Now you will see the security tab on the properties of any folder on a NTFS volume.
Cem Alacayir 9/17/2002 9:04 PM
thank you.
Shlomy 9/18/2002 9:27 AM