These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

File/Code Protection

This application is great! But I have run in to a problem:
I had to move the application on the D: drive for space issues and made the virtual directory point to it there. When I view the app in the browser, I can see the "webexplorer.asp" file along with it's code and can even edit it. I don't want anyone to have this privilage. How do I change it to make only sub directories viewable without giving the user the ability to modify or view code for the application . 
Brian 8/12/2002 2:17 PM
Hi Brian,
I recommend that you never have WebExplorer installed under the root folder you defined. For example when you define "D:\" as your root folder, it's not a good idea to install WebExplorer to "D:\WebExplorer". If you are obliged to do that then you should remove "Read" and "Write" permissions of the folder "D:\WebExplorer" for user IUSR_MACHINENAME. This way the script will not be editable by itself or any other ASP script.
An easier way is to use something like "D:\Root" as your root folder and install WebExplorer to "D:\WebExplorer" so that you keep the script and files separate.
Cem Alacayir 8/13/2002 4:46 AM
Thanks Cem! 
I got it working ok now!
Brian 8/14/2002 11:00 AM