These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Security Settings

Hi

I would like to give read access to all intranet users within our company to a specific folder. How can I avoid that they can change the preferences (eg. setting a password?). Furthermore I would like to have several Administrators who can upload/delete/rename etc. documents/folders. How should I set the security to do that?
Nicolai Munzer 8/13/2002 4:22 AM
Hi Nicolai,
Although WebExplorer Server is the right application for your purposes, I will try to provide some solutions:
You may disable internal password security of WebExplorer Pro and use NT challenge/response instead. You should create two NT users like "usr" and "admin". Then you should edit the permissions of your selected root folder:
For user "usr", set "Read" and for user "admin" set "Modify" permission. Finally remove "Write" permission of the file "inc_config.asp" for user "usr" so that only administrators can modify the settings.
Cem Alacayir 8/13/2002 5:13 AM
I made a point of removing "prefs.asp" on my server after
configuring Webexplorer pro preferances.

I did this In case someone tried to run it on its own once i'd finished setup - for extra security.

What would be great for the next release is a feature to that could be turned on to send an email to report a file uploaded to the administrator. This would be really usefull I could then tell how often to backup the uploads directory.

Many thanks.
Rich 4/14/2003 7:21 PM
Removing "prefs.asp" is a solution but you can enable your administrative NT account only (which you use as an administrator for WebExplorer Pro) to access the file "prefs.asp" and disable all others.

I will take your suggestion into consideration.
Cem Alacayir 4/14/2003 8:14 PM