These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Limit size of generated ZIP file (server resources)

We are using FileVistaControl V1.6.
The feature that allows to download a folder as a ZIP file is great!
But it also raises a problem: if the folder is very large (>150MB); it takes quite some time until the server is ready with the creation of the ZIP. This also uses quite some server resources. 

Therefore want to limit the size of ZIPs being created.
It this possible with version v1.6?
Olivier Mangelschots 11/18/2008 12:36 AM
I need this as well. Our users have thousands of files in dozens of nested folders. I'd like to limit creating zip files to cases where the task will actually be able to complete.

Another approach would be to limit the recursion level. For example there might be a setting where the default (no setting) was the current behavior; a setting of 0 would allow no recursion (copying a folder would be disabled if it contained a subfolder); 1 would allow 1 level of subfolders, etc. This would do the job for us.
Richard 11/18/2008 1:08 PM
Ok, I have noted this. I think we will implement the size limit suggestion as the folder size may be still large although there is no recursion.
Cem Alacayir 11/27/2008 7:20 PM
Thank you. It would be great if you could implement it so there were two possibilities:

1. Don't allow creating zip files over a certain size

2. Allow creating the zip files but generate a configurable warning message for the user over a certain size so they will know to expect a long wait.
Richard 12/2/2008 5:31 AM
FYI, this feature is now included in v1.9:

- Added: New property "MaxZipFileSize" for limiting the size of the generated zip files on "Add to Zip" and "Download as Zip" actions. 
If this property is not set, then there will be no size limit for the zip files just like the previous behaviour.

Cem Alacayir 3/22/2010 3:35 PM