These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Roles & More

Hi Cem and all the other developers as well as the contributors of this great peace of art.

I ended up chosing GleamTech FileVistaControl because it resolved from all other options by far the best. I easily set this up and it simply works like a charm, thanks for the great job. Though, there are still some features that I'm missing; some of which are just nice to haves and the one that I think we must have.

Nice to have ones:
    Drag&Drop: Not only within the control but maybe also between the desktop and the control
    Multiple file select: Windows kind of multiple file selection with mouse 
    Scalable icons: Icons and images that set the size automatically by the font size changes

Must to have one:
    Documentation: I'm really missing the documentation for the APIs, do you have it somewhere?

Anyway here is my question:

I got different membership roles in my application. And not only different roles monitor different folders but different people which have the same role must also be able to reach to different folders with different permissions. I think this must be possible to work around with the GleamTech API before I load the control to the site. I just wanted to ask: "What would you suggest me to do before I get my hands dirty?" Additionally, I think there is no way I can do that without any documentation.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks and best regards,
Kaan
Kaan Özgen 10/22/2009 5:10 AM
I'd appreciate any response?
Kaan Özgen 10/29/2009 9:14 AM
Kaan,

Did you work out a solution?  I have a similar situation and I ended up using code from another post to programmatically load the control and the folders it would display.  Doing that also allowed me to make a configurable "wrapper" for the FileVistaControl.

If you want me to post code, I can.

Bryan
Bryan Thrasher 12/31/2009 11:53 AM
Hi Bryan,

this is how I worked it out: http://www.gleamtech.com/support/forums/4038/role
Any other solution would be also appreciated.

Thank you for your concern.
Kaan
Kaan Özgen 1/1/2010 1:08 AM
Kaan,
Sorry for the late response.
I am glad the product is useful to you.

> Drag&Drop: Not only within the control but maybe also between the desktop and the control

Yes, this is on our to-do list.

> Multiple file select: Windows kind of multiple file selection with mouse 

Multiple file selection is possible with using CTRL and SHIFT keys just like in Windows Explorer and selection with mouse is also on our to-do list.

> Scalable icons: Icons and images that set the size automatically by the font size changes

I have noted this.

> Documentation: I'm really missing the documentation for the APIs, do you have it somewhere?

Other than the example project, we haven't prepared a documentation yet. Actually once you examine the example project, the usage is pretty straightforward. I guess we should also include VB version of the example project. In the meantime, I recommend you to use an online C# to VB convertor, here is a good one:
Convert C# to VB.NET
You can convert the example C# codes easily, it works pretty well.

Regarding your question, I see that you have already figured it out. Example 2 is for demonstrating this programmatic approach for dynamically loading the control and folders.
Cem Alacayir 1/15/2010 8:05 AM