These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Session state hanging

Hello,

I am using windows authentication mode and I hae set the timeout to 5 min and also the session state to 5 min neither of these seem to be working for me.  I have a path called 'FileControl' and upon authentication I need the page to logout after 10 min however, the session remains even as long as the browser is open.  Once I close the IE page then go to the page again, it prompts me with the browser login mode.  please help.

Aditi 4/26/2010 12:13 AM
Any update on this? I am really stuck here.  I need to kill the session after 10 min however, none of the sessions settings are being used in Windows Authentication mode.
Aditi 4/26/2010 10:40 PM
If you are using Windows Authentication, killing session state is irrevelant.
The user credentials are being cached by the client browser after authentication so the only legitimate way to log the user out, is to close the browser window.

However there are some possible workarounds.
1. There is a JS script solution for clearing the authentication cache of the browser but it seems it's only supported by IE:

document.execCommand("ClearAuthenticationCache", "false"); 

2. You may try sending a 401 status message when ASP.NET session end event is raised. This way you can reset the authentication cache whenver the ASP.NET session expires.
Cem Alacayir 7/6/2010 6:27 AM