These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

user login & folder rights

Is there a way to set up WebExplorer so that as soon as a user logs in, they are sent immediately into "their" folder. (ie, the only folder they have permissions to).

Basically, I'm trying to avoid user's from knowing that other user's folders exist.
I know how to limit access to folders etc.

Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks
Gavin 10/25/2002 10:32 AM
I think you mean NT users by "users" and you are trying to use NT challenge/response. If so, it's possible to add a small code segment to WebExplorer Free for getting the logged on NT username with Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") and then set wexRoot variable to the folder of that user.
Cem Alacayir 10/25/2002 7:20 PM
Hi,
i'm required to do a login before loading webexplorer.
the code goes :

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="../commonfiles/config.inc"-->
Const wexRoot = "/web/project/" & Session("pj_grp")

the config file store connection to database.

i faced 2 problems:

1) there an error which occur in the included file 
Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01F5)
Illegal assignment: 'login'
/web/commonfiles/config.inc, line 30

2) let's say if the include file works,
Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript compilation (0x800A0415)
Expected literal constant
/web/webexplorer18/webexplorer.asp, line 30, column 51
Const wexRoot = "/web/project/" & session("pj_grp")

Do u noe how to solve??
Wang 10/28/2002 12:59 AM
the included file is config.inc

the code goes

'connection string

Set login=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
login.Open "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & Server.Mappath("../../database/database.mdb")

login.Close
Set login = Nothing
Wang 10/28/2002 1:07 AM
Hi Wang,
Please click the "Send" button once while posting because I see that your messages are posted multiple times. I had to delete them.

1) Declare the variable login (Dim login) before Set login... statement.

2) As you are not using wexRoot as a constant anymore, you should declare it as a variable:
Dim wexRoot
wexRoot = "/web/project/" & session("pj_grp")
Cem Alacayir 10/28/2002 5:39 AM
i tried to declare wexroot as dim but the error msg still appeared:

Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01F5)
Illegal assignment: 'login'
/web/commonfiles/config.inc, line 30

the config.inc does not have any problem with other asp files using it
Wang 10/29/2002 12:54 AM
I told you to do two things not one thing: declare the variable "wexroot" and declare the variable "login" in config.inc too.
At the top of the script, there is the keyword "Option Explicit" which means you have to declare the variables explicitly throughout the script or the included files. You don't have any problems with the other asp files as they don't have this keyword. Either comment out this keyword or declare the variable "login" in config.inc explicitly which is a good programming practice.
Cem Alacayir 10/29/2002 5:54 AM
i know why there is an error connecting to the database. Becos the webexplorer uses login as a variable in it. Therefore when i use login as my connection, the script will display error. But i cant change my connection to other variable as it will affect the wrong program therefore may i know wat are the things i need to change in webexplorer if i were to replace the login as other variable?
Wang 10/29/2002 8:06 PM