These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Downstream Transfer Speed Clarification

We are evaluating your software - which by the way is VERY nice BTW -
but have a question about transfer speed.

When simply using IIS and its built in directory browsing feature users are getting around 
800-900k. The same file, on the same server using File Vista direct link feature gets 200-300K.
This is a reproducible every time.

Is this typical? I understand there is overhead involved with ASP but I didn't think I would see this much of a speed decrease. The server is a Virtual Machine with about 2GB of ram dedicated and otherwise has nothing loaded on it. We are using Windows Server 2003 x32.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve 7/22/2010 5:45 AM
Hi,
This may be due to the chunked downloading. For minimizing memory consumption, we are using a 8KB buffer for downstreaming the files, ie. we don't load the whole file into memory. It seems this buffer is not enough for best performance. I guess we can increase the performance by increasing the buffer size. I have sent you updated DLLs via email. Please test the speed again after updating the DLLs. I will wait for your feedback.
Cem Alacayir 7/22/2010 10:39 AM
Hello Cem,

We are experiencing the same issue on a new install of FileVista 4.1. This is a new deployment, presently on to our test environment which is composed of a dedicated Win2K8 R2 x64 web server (4GB RAM) and another dedicated Win2K8 R2 x64 DB server (4GB RAM; SQL 2005 SP3 x64).

We ran tests last night from a relatively high speed home internet connection (15 Mb download) and were getting around 350 - 400 Kb download rates. The servers themselves are linked to the internet by a symmetrical 30 Mb fiber connection.

Any thoughts?

By the way, other than the download performance and a few other minor issues that I will post separately, this is a great product!
NAS 11/12/2010 7:49 AM
I did not hear back from Steve regarding the effects of the increased buffer. According to your numbers, it seems the speed is improved but still not perfect. We will try to optimize the download module for better performance. Can you let me know the transfer rates when downloading files directly from IIS in your environment? 
Cem Alacayir 11/12/2010 5:02 PM
I ran a test myself from home and things look much better. My home connection is rated at 15 Mb x 2 Mb. Before I ran my test, I checked out my bandwidth at speakeasy.net/speedtest. The results showed my connection at very close to 15 x 2.

My test system was a laptop running Win7 x64, Core2 Duo T7800 2.6 GHz proc, 4 GB RAM.

My tests showed a download rate varying between about 700 KB/sec and 1.1 MB/sec throughout a 10 min download of a 750 MB .iso file, which is quite good.

So, I'm thinking you got it right. My other tester likely had a congested circuit.

Thanks!
NAS 11/12/2010 6:53 PM