These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Email notifications

Hi Cem,

I am using the trial version 4.0 on our staging site for testing.

I am happy that the direct link feature is working fine. But I am not sure why the email notification is not working. I have the STMP set up. Even I got an email from the tool (the test SMTP email) but I am not getting the notification email saying that new files were added and all.

Could you let me know what else needs to be done to get this working. Does it work with the trial version at all?

Thanks,
Sanchi
Sanchi 7/23/2010 11:24 AM
Same here.  My SMTP settings test properly and I receive the test message but I never get a notification when a user performs a task that I have set notifications for.

I run my own mail server and have full access to it so I can see that the message is never attempted from the application.

I posted on another thread that SSL email on port 465 fails also.  There are definately some problems in the 4.0 version email scripts.
bfrench 8/1/2010 11:59 AM
First make sure, you enabled “Send Email Notifications” on the settings page (above SMTP settings).
Then please check how you set notifications in the root folder properties page for a user (near Permissions tab there is Notifications tab):
- Note that a user will be not be notified of his own events as it’s unnecessary.
- Notifications works like permissions so disabled notifications take precedence just like deny permissions. So UserA will not receive notification on Upload event even his group has the notification enabled.

FileVista is dependant on .Net framework SMTP features. Are you sure your SMTP server is configured properly for SSL connections?

Cem Alacayir 8/3/2010 1:05 PM
Why doesnot the user level email notification work?

Is this feature not implemented. Should a user belong to a group to receive  email notifications?

-Sanchi
Sanchi 8/24/2010 9:00 AM
Could you please reply to this as my company wants to buy unlimited license and they want answers for this first.

-Sanchi
Sanchi 8/25/2010 2:07 PM
Sanchi, notifications work for both user and group levels. If you think notifications are not working, you are probably missing these points:

- A user will be not be notified of the events he caused. He will be notified of the events the other users cause. So when testing, remember that you will not receive emails for the actions you caused. However the other users (if any in the list) will receive emails caused by your actions. You should try 2 different users (with valid emails) when testing.

- On the root folder properties dialog, if you added both User1 and Group1 (which includes User1 as a member) then the notifications settings will be combined just like permissions. When combining, disabled notifications always take precedence. So if you disable Upload notification for Group1, then even if you enable Upload notification for User1, he will not be able to receive Upload notifications due to the disabled setting coming from his Group1 membership.
Cem Alacayir 8/31/2010 9:05 AM
Yes, I have been trying using two user email ids.

Consider for example I have root folder jems( assigned to user JemUser) and inside this root folder I have another root folder diamonds( assigned to DiamonUser).  So when the Dismond user uploads a file then the JemUser has to get email but this is not happening. I have all the permissions enabled for the JemUser but still when something happens for diamonds root folder then the JemUser user should receive email right?

-Sanchi
Sanchi 8/31/2010 9:40 AM