These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Surfacing Error Messages

I posted this to the wrong place earlier....

I have integrated FileVista into my application and it works quite well.  During the upload I use the Uploaded event to add records to a database for each uploaded file.  It appears that others here do this too.  The problem I am now faced with it how to get error messages to the user.  My normal error handling just fills a Label control's text property which shows up when the page is displayed.   But, the control's events are handled outside the page context so that is not an option here.   Can someone recomend a way to get error informtion to the end-user?????
Bob Moffa 8/31/2010 5:26 AM
Actually there is e.Cancel(string message) method in before events (-ing suffix). There is no way to display error messages in after events (-ed suffix) because the event is already completed. So you will need to do you check in Uploading event and not Uploaded event. Then you can use e.Cancel(string message) method to show messages and cancel the event when an error occurs.

So you will need to use Ajax upload mode to make use of Uploading event as I noted here:
Uploading Event--No Files
Cem Alacayir 9/2/2010 5:51 AM