These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

SQL syntax error connecting FileVista 4.0 to MySQL Server 5.1

Hi Cem,

According this topic http://www.gleamtech.com/support/forums/2326/will-file-vista-support-mysql it should be possible to connect FileVista with a MySQL Server. However, that connectionstring looks like it belongs to a FileVista 3.x configuration. I've been trying to connect FileVista 4.0 to MySQL Server 5.1 but Configuration.aspx wasn’t able to finish because it couldn’t connect to the database. I tried these server settings:

Localhost
Localhost:3306
Localhost:3306\MySQL

Next I installed the Microsoft ODBC .NET Data Provider and MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.1.7. In FileVista.config the provider is set to System.Data.Odbc and the connectionstring is:

Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver}; Server=localhost; Database=filevista; User=FileVista; Password=********; Option=0;

Running the website results in this SQL syntax error:

ERROR [42000] [MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver][mysqld-5.1.50-community]You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '[Key], [Value] FROM [Configuration]' at line 1

Do you know what might be the problem?

Kind regards,
Leandros van den Berg 9/3/2010 6:19 AM
FileVista v4.0 uses DbFactory abstraction for connecting to the databases. So you should use .Net Connector instead of the ODBC driver:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/

In web.config you should define (if not defined in machine.config, eg. by the installer) the DbFactory provider for MySQL (change the version according to the one you download):

<system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
       <add 
         name="MySQL Data Provider" 
         invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" 
         description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" 
         type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=6.2.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d"/>
    </DbProviderFactories>
</system.data>

In filevista.config change these settings:

<add key="Provider" value="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" />
  <add key="ConnectionString" value=" Server=localhost; Database=filevista; User=FileVista; Password=**" />

However, even you successully connect to MySQL database I am not sure if it will still accept all SQL queries syntax as they are optimized for ainly SQL Server. You should  test and let me know.
Cem Alacayir 10/6/2010 6:39 AM