These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Customise V4 Login Page

Hi,

We have installed V4 product and wish to modify the welcome  page - we are able to do this in the V3 product by changing the .xml file located in the \languages file.

I have looked around but suspect its now located in the database.

Ideally, we would like to update the Welcome message and update the logo used.

Any help would be welcome

Many thanks

Steve

SteveT 11/29/2010 1:53 AM
I would also be interested in knowing how to do this.  I think adding an HTML code section to the admin panel for customizing the main login page would be a good feature enhancement.
Wayne 12/1/2010 9:45 AM
This exceerpt from the "what's new"-list of the v4.1 Version will probably give the answer:

"• Added: DLL embedded resources such as CSS files and language files can be overridden by simply putting customized versions to the corresponding folders under App_GlobalResources\GleamTech.FileUltimate and App_GlobalResources\GleamTech.FileVista"

Does that help? Works for my installation to put customized files there.
Chris
Chris 1/6/2011 3:28 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.
Can you please be more specific how to change the login page?
Clemens 1/28/2011 6:09 AM
Hi,

to customize the page there are different ways:

1. Just edit the login.aspx to your needs an you can put anything you like in the html code.

2. If you just want to replace the text you can do so by customizing the language.xml file that holds all the Text-Parts of the whole System.
   - Get a sample language file from the old 4.0 version (not 4.1). Download the trial Version on the gleamtech homepage and extract it.
   - There you will find a folder "languages" with the available xml's
   - Edit the language to your needs and put it in the folder of "App_GlobalResources\GleamTech.FileVista" in your current Installation.
   - Restart the app-pool or save the web.config again to restart the system.

3. If you want custom images etc. it all goes into the corresponding folders of "App_GlobalResources\GleamTech.FileVista". I think looking at the old version 4.0 html codes is the key to understanding how it works and where the files are loaded from. In 4.1 it's not obvious if you don't have a source code version.

Let me know if it helps!

Chris
Chris 1/28/2011 6:38 AM
Please first download Resource files for FileVista v4.1. Note that v4.0 language files are not compatible (new strings added) with v4.1. Only language and css files (no images) are included in this zip.

For instance, if you want to customize the english language file, then copy App_GlobalResources\GleamTech.FileVista\languages\en.xml from the above zip file to the corresponding location under your FileVista folder (FileVista\App_GlobalResources\GleamTech.FileVista\languages\). Then edit this xml file and change the necessary strings. Whenever you do a change under FileVista\App_GlobalResources, ASP.NET engine should restart the application so changes will be detected automatically. If changes are not detected, you can force by recycle the app-pool or touch the web.config (open and save) as Chris said.
Cem Alacayir 1/28/2011 8:34 AM
Hi Cem.

you mention how to edit the language file.  What if we had a modified CSS file on FV version 3?  Where would we put that file on a new server running 4.1?
Jay Crump 2/13/2011 11:45 PM
I think I understand - you place the modified CSS file in a /css directory in same location as the languages file.

I see that the new languages file now has different strings.  I don't see one for modifying the login page text, as in the old version it's string 500.  Do I need to add one?
Jay Crump 2/13/2011 11:50 PM
No that string number is not changed, it's still 500. I guess you are viewing the language file of FileUltimate.

Here is the correct folder structure:

FileVista
|----> App_GlobalResources
          |---->  GleamTech.FileVista
                     |---->  languages                             -> this is for FileVista related language files
                     |---->  (GleamTech.FileUltimate)
                                |---->  languages                  -> this is for FileUltimate related language files

Cem Alacayir 8/4/2011 12:36 PM
Does this still work with v4.5.10 ? I can't get it to work as it used to.

I put a customised "de.xml" in the folder \<my_filvista-installation-path>\App_GlobalResources\GleamTech.FileVista\languages, restarted the web and app-pool but nothing changed.
Chris 5/29/2012 1:04 AM
Figuered it out myself:

The path name changed to: \filevistainstallpath\App_GlobalResources\FileVistaResourceStore\Languages\

Have to watch the "Version History.txt" more closely.
Chris 5/29/2012 1:14 AM