These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Upload Error #2038 with large files

The error 2038 is back! I can't reproduce it myself but have change the upload method to "browser" for the time beeing, which works but doesn't look as good because there is no status bar.

A customer of mine is having difficulties uploading files larger than 40MB. No matter what browser (Testet IE8 and FF 3.0.19) it always crashes during the upload and gives the error #2038.
All I see in the Logs is this (Notice Error is empty):

Path: 
    folder1\foldername1\somefolder123Source Action: 
    Upload
Data: 
    GleamTech.Web.FileTransfer.UploadProgress
Error: 

Does this have to do anything with the recent flash updates? Using Filevista 4.0.0.0
Chris 7/22/2010 3:08 AM
Getting this error also in version 4 on large files (anything over 1 or 2 gigs) .. any updates?
William Burress 11/23/2010 7:52 AM
What about large 2GB+ files?
jamrott 1/19/2011 5:09 PM
Can you check if Kaspersky AntiVirus is installed on the machines which have problems uploading large files. There appears to be a general problem with Kaspersky's "transparent proxy" implementation and HTTP POST uploads.

Note that as of current version, upto 2GB of files are supported. However large files such as 1GB of files should be uploaded without problems.
Cem Alacayir 1/31/2011 4:25 PM
Cem are you saying there is still a 2GB limit using the flash uploader? I thought that was increased to 4GB in the latest version? We do not have Kaspersky installed on our machines we use Symantec.
William Burress 2/1/2011 6:03 AM
William,
We have increased the limit of 2GB for the download module and not for the upload module. They are two different things. You can download files of any size as long as your browser supports it. Note that some old browsers still support upto 2GB and newer ones upto 4GB.

Increasing the upload limit is not as easy because we are dependent on ASP.NET and IIS limits. Unfortunately they do not allow to override the built-in 2GB limit when posting files with HTTP standards (regular HTTP post). However there are ways to avoid this limit, for example chunking and streaming the upload instead of using HTTP post. However this method is not possible with HTTP standards so we need to make use of a browser plugin such as Silverlight. We are currently planning to utilize Silverlight plugin when available in user's browser to make unlimited size of uploads possible. The same method may be possible with Flash plugin too but Flash's upload features are really problematic (authentication and SSL issues) and unstable. For example, Flash plugin loads the whole file in memory before uploading and you can not avoid it. This is not good when the user tries to upload a 4GB file when he has only 2GB of RAM.
Cem Alacayir 2/1/2011 6:32 AM
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification, so files larger then 2GB if i FTP to the server the users could still download browser permitting ... thanks for the info.
William Burress 2/1/2011 6:40 AM
I'm having this problem but with smallish files (50+MB not 1GB)
any suggestions?

Thanks

Sam
Sam Childs 2/7/2011 5:46 PM
Using the same browser and the same file;

1. Can you duplicate the exact problem with FileVista Live Demo? This is important so that we can see if this is a server configuration issue or not.

2. Can you upload the file successfully with this flash upload demo? If you can not, then the problem may be about your Flash version.

Let me know the results.
Cem Alacayir 2/7/2011 6:09 PM
If you find that the problem is specific to your server only after the above tests then it should be likely caused by URLScan (an IIS extension).

URLscan is usually located in the directory C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\urlscan. Navigate to this directory and edit the urlscan.ini file. By default, this file has the entry:

MaxAllowedContentLength = 30000000 

which restricts the maximum allowed upload size to 30 MB. Changing this entry to a larger value will allow the server to accept large uploads. You may need to restart IIS for changes to take effect after saving the file.

Cem Alacayir 2/7/2011 6:44 PM
Hi Cem,
I notice Vimeo have just released an Ajax update to there site allowing 5Gb files. Just thought I would mention it :0)
Rob Atkinson 2/8/2011 1:34 AM
Having issues with SSL and #2038 errors after approx 11:30 seconds using flash. I have a valid certificate from Verisign. Checked all SSL timeouts, and even extended them by editing the metabase. Does anyone have SSL working with flash? I need to get this issue resolved as we are trying to use this in production and I have already given out the url as https://xxx.xxxx.com. Does anyone know a work around in the interim to have the login page redirect to http? The issue does not seem to be size related, but time related. Files that are smaller can xfer under the time range work fine. 

Thanks!
John
John 8/17/2011 8:30 AM
We have been using HTTPS for a long time now without issue, do you get these errors on upload or download or both?
Rob Atkinson 8/17/2011 8:33 AM
Just uploads. Downloads of any size seem to work fine. We are running on 2003r2 server IIS6. We don't have urlscan etc. The error is 2038. I have tried to run IIS monitoring tools to check for crashes, but it never reports anything. The worker process is set never to recycle, and I am unable to find any other log. I found this in the HTTPERR log  (C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\HTTPERR). I am at a loss and since I didn't test with https and flash using large files I assume dit was ok. All my testing before delpoyment was done using http. Http transfers of any size work fine.

2011-08-15 15:10:43 173.161.194.242 13830 10.0.20.200 443 HTTP/1.1 POST /filevista/fileultimate.ashx/Upload?rootFolderID=3&relativePath=&UploadID=13134203822474565&UploadMethod=Flash&c%7cFileVista.RememberedUser=name%3dadmin%26language%3den&c%7cFileVista.RememberedUser=name%3dadmin%26language%3den&c%7cASP.NET_SessionId=gqfmjlq3r15aaxvncz52cs0f 400 91387610 BadRequest FileVista
2011-08-15 15:11:15 173.161.194.242 13830 10.0.20.200 443 HTTP/1.1 POST /filevista/fileultimate.ashx/Upload?rootFolderID=3&relativePath=&UploadID=13134203822474565&UploadMethod=Flash&c%7cFileVista.RememberedUser=name%3dadmin%26language%3den&c%7cFileVista.RememberedUser=name%3dadmin%26language%3den&c%7cASP.NET_SessionId=gqfmjlq3r15aaxvncz52cs0f 400 91387610 Connection_Dropped FileVista

John 8/17/2011 8:39 AM
I assume you have tried all the suggestions in the posts above?

- Flash Player up to date?
- newest FileVista Version including fixes?
- Checked with the demo at http://www.gleamtech.com/demos/filevista/ and see if it happens there?
- Change upload method to browser? (for testing and maybe get around the problem as long as it's not resolved).
- different browser? (remember that firefox requires its own flash player installation and update (even if internet explorer already has it)
- in the other thread you mentioned you used the filevista config file to change the upload methofd to browser. this is usually done in the admin settings on the site (has been changed a few versions back).

Hope any of this helps. I've got it running with almost the same setup and it works fine. (server 2003, iis6, filevista 4.1).

Chris
Chris 8/17/2011 9:08 AM
Looks like a server issue to me 
Connection_Dropped
Usually means IIS ran out of resources either TCP connections or memory or otherwise, SSL does cause the server to work harder.

Is there anything helpful in the event log?
Rob Atkinson 8/17/2011 9:24 AM
Got it!!!! Thanks to Cem who was VERY helpful throughout this whole ordeal. My company uses a watchguard firewall. The firewall was timing out the SSL conenctions!!! Filevista works 100% perfect! 
John 8/17/2011 10:42 AM
Dear Cem,

You mention there is a work-around uploading files bigger than 2GB - can you please detail the solution?

Thanks,

Casian
Casian Sala 9/18/2012 3:22 AM