These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

download.....zip files in the App_data/temp directory

We keep accumulating download....zip files in this directory.  From what I've read this should not be happening with version 4.  This version has been installed for several months but I haven't heard of this happening from the tech or managed it before.  I just took over managing it.  I've read they should be automatically deleted when the download is complete unless the download was cancelled.  Although it's possible it's hard for me to believe we are having this many cancelled downloads each day.  Any suggestions?
Kim Haddock 3/8/2011 2:04 PM
We will solve this problem by directly streaming the file while compressing for "Download As Zip" action. This way no temporary zip file will be created and user will not have to wait for the compression to complete. You can test this feature in the recently released FileUltimate v3.0 RC1. The next version of FileVista will depend on this:
FileUltimate Online Examples
Cem Alacayir 8/4/2011 12:59 PM
We implemented FileVista on one of my client's website (25 user license) and have nothing but good things to say about the product.  However, recently they were charged fees from the host provider due to unknowingly exceeding file space limits on the server.  Troubleshooting revealed an accumulation of temporary files as discussed above.  Is there a fix for this issue available now for existing FileVista users?  It is unrealistic to expect our clients to periodically erase files in the temporary directory.  Until this is resolved, we will not be able to use this product as part of our portfolio of solutions for our clients.
Mike King 12/20/2011 1:13 PM
I guess you are using an old version of FileVista. This problem occured only in old versions before v4.1. These temporary files were created as a result of “Download As Zip” action. Actually these files were usually deleted automatically after the download was finished but sometimes users canceled the download (or connection dropped) and some files may have been left there.

However we have a new feature in v4.5. No more temporary files are created during “Download As Zip” action as the file is directly streamed to the user while it’s being generated. Another advantage of this feature is the user will be prompted instantly with browser's open/save as dialog so user will not wait for the zip generation to be completed beforehand.

Please update your existing installation to the latest version v4.5 we have just released. Note that the upgrade is free for users with a v4.x license.
Cem Alacayir 1/18/2012 7:14 AM
Great! I was unaware that this issue was soved in the new release. I will update immediately. Thanks!
Mike King 1/18/2012 3:25 PM