These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Quite long - Please explain me how to deny access to a subfolder ?

I'm trying to figure how to give or deny access to a subfolder for one or more users but i can't work out. I've tryed in my licensed version 4.1 and also on the online demo. But even if I specify that one folder doesn't "inherit permission from root" (unchecking the flag) and i insert manually only few usernames, when i log with another different username from the ones specified for that folder, i can access ! All users can se all subfolders of a root folder regardless of permissions.

This is the scenario i'm trying to set up:

I want to create a root folder for the SALES DIVISION, give administration rights to the senior sales manager and have him to manage employees and  customer's account and folder permission. 
So I create a user with his name "JOHN" and put him in the "SALES DEPT" group, flagging that he is also the manager.
I also create some other accounts for the others employes of that division and put all in the "SALES DEPT" group.
Then I create a root folder named SALES DIVISION FOLDER and i assign full permission to group "SALES DEPT".

I log with JOHN account and i'm putted in the root folder assigned. Now I create a couple of folders, one named "COMMON", one named "FUFFA Incorporated", and the last named "DRAWINGS".  I go to the user management page (I'm the administrator of my group) and I create some customers account: one for the "FUFFA Incorporated" named FUFFAUSER, one for another customer that needs to download a drawing named "DRAWINGUSER".

Finally from the root folder management page I assign permission to each folders that i've created:
- COMMON subfolder is for all employes and customers and inherit permission from the root (Full control to group SALES DEPT).

- FUFFA Incorporated subfolder is only for FUFFAUSER and JOHN so I UNCHECK "Inherit permission" and add manually FUFFAUSER and JOHN.

- DRAWINGS subfolder is only for DRAWINGUSER and some employees BUT NOT for FUFFAUSER. So I uncheck "inerhit permission" and manually add only DRAWINGUSER and the other user account of my employees.

In this way it's obvious that FUFFAUSER should be unable to access all folders but only "COMMON" and "FUFFA Incorporated" ones. And also that DRAWINGUSER should be unable to access the folder "FUFFA Incorporated". Isnt' it ?

BUT If i try to login with theyr accounts, every single user can access any folder. FUFFAUSER can open all folders, even if i've uncheked "Inherit permission". Every single user is like the other, even if i change permission usin ADMIN account i can't deny access to a subfolder to a user. It seems that "inehrit permission" is always checked.

With this behaviour is quite useless to use filevista for me, couse all customers can access and see all the stuff in my root folder and in all subfolders, breaking security and privacy and all company policy, even if i've specified every single user access rights.

Please let me know what i'm doing wrong.

Michele 3/24/2011 2:41 AM
I guess this is a default feature, as you can read from the "features" page of this website :

"You can create user accounts and control who can access which folder with which rights. The rights can limit a user's actions, disk usage and allowed file types within a folder. The users can be grouped together to assign same rights to each."

I'm just considering to evaluate Filevista and i've not yet installed it but maybe you are making some configuration mistakes couse it seems quite obviuos that you can create as many subfolders as you want and assign specific rights to single users or groups.

Have a nice day
Ant.
Antony 3/28/2011 2:26 AM
If all the users have access to the Root Folder then all these users will have to be managed in the subfolders if you want to restrict actions.

Try adding all the users (or groups) to the 3 subfolders. In the RootFolder section of the Admin module go to one of your subfolders and click the user you want to restrict. Then take away the actions you don't want them to perform, such as traverse, list, etc. (you could take them all away).
Esteban 3/31/2011 8:12 AM