These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Adding Files - Wrong Count?

Some of our users are reporting that when they add files to the uploader, it is giving them an incorrect number of files or not adding everything they chose.

This seems to be happening at higher file counts. It's common for 2,000+ files to be added for uploading at around 20+gigs total. Sometimes the uploader will report there are 500 images added and only 6gigs added for upload.

There are no restrictions on the file uploader in regards to file type or size. A workaround has been to add and upload files in batches of 500. But this only a bandaid fix. I'd love to know more about how we can get this problem fixed as well.

Thank You.
Dustin B. 8/3/2012 11:37 AM
I just did a test of 1,000 files (Very common for our customers to upload 2500+ images at once). Of the 1,000 files selected to add to the upload list, 448 files were added, then stopped. It added the 448 images all in sequential order, but stopped at the 449th file.

This was done on a Windows 7 and Mac OSX with Chrome.
Dustin B. 1/23/2013 4:50 PM
Dustin,
Your issue is about uploading not listing files. It's probably about Flash upload mode because Flash plugin loads the files into memory before uploading. So it's about the total size of the files rather than the number of the files because probably you are out of memory. What was the total size of files and how much is your RAM?
Cem Alacayir 1/23/2013 5:04 PM
Total RAM installed on Client Test Machine: 4gigs.
448 files sized at: 5.45gigs
958 files attempted to upload sized at: 11.9gigs.

Interesting, didn't realize it was dependent on RAM. We were using a flash upload prior to this solution that did not have any size issues limited to RAM (to my knowledge and via the lack of customer feedback). I'll have to do some research. I just tested the Ajax and Browser option as the Upload Method, but both don't allow multiple selections via the Add Files dialogue. The RAM issue also explains how not all clients have this problem.
Dustin B. 1/23/2013 5:15 PM
Dustin,
Unfortunately Flash plugin behaves differently on different platforms. Flash on Mac OS X will try to load the entire file into memory before uploading it and this is not good as you see. However, Flash on Windows or Linux shouldn't have this problem. You say you also tested on Windows 7 then I recommend you to check the flash version and update to the latest version. Maybe updating the flash version on MAC OS X will also solve it on that platform.

Good news is that HTML5 multiple file selection feature is finally common on the major browsers (including IE 10). In the next version, we will use these features. So HTML5 upload method will take precedence over Flash method.

I will let you know.
Cem Alacayir 1/25/2013 6:28 AM