These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Root Folder Permissions/Visibility

I've tried out the trial of FileVista, but I can't seem to get it to do what I am looking for.  Is this possible to do?

The file structure I'm working with is something similar to this:

/Folder 1/Sub Folder 1
/Folder 1/Sub Folder 2
/Folder 1/Sub Folder 3
/Folder 1/Sub Folder 3/Files

/Folder 2
/Folder 2/Sub Folder 1
/Folder 2/Sub Folder 2
/Folder 2/Sub Folder 2/Files
/Folder 2/Sub Folder 3
/Folder 2/Sub Folder 3/Files
/Folder 2/Sub Folder 4

/Folder 3
/Folder 3/Sub Folder 1
/Folder 3/Sub Folder 2

I need to be able to give user access to a single main folder, and control access to the sub folders and files.

I also need to be able to limit visibility on the folders that each user does not have access to.

For example, if the Users were "Folder 1", "Folder 2", and "Folder 3", I need it where when User Folder 1 logs in, all they see is "Folder 1" and (some of) its sub folders.  The same for User Folder 2, they'd only see "Folder 2" and (some of) its sub folders.

I have tried creating 3 root folders, "Folder 1", "Folder 2", and "Folder 3", and 3 separate users, but all 3 users can see all 3 root folders, even if every permission for that user on a root folder is set to Deny.

I also can't use a dynamic root folder, due to the fact I need to be able modify permissions of the sub-folders & files.

Is there a solution?

Sara 3/7/2013 4:44 PM
If you created 3 separate root folders  for 3 users, then why don't you add only one user per root folder?

For example do you need User2 or User3 have access to some subfolders of User1's root folder (Folder 1)?

If you add User2 or User3 to a subfolder of Folder1, then they must see the root folder. Otherwise they can not browse Folder1's subfolders without a parent node.

Maybe, you should use this folder structure with one root folder only:

Root
|--> Folder1
|--> Folder2
|--> Folder3

Then you can add all 3 users with Deny permission on the root and override their permissions with Allow on the subfolders you need.
Cem Alacayir 3/7/2013 10:03 PM
[If you created 3 separate root folders  for 3 users, then why don't you add only one user per root folder?]

That's what I have done, but they can all still see all 3 folders.  I've tried 3 different methods.

1)  Folder 1's permissions are "User 1" Full Allow.  No other users listed.
2)  Folder 1's permissions are "User 1" Full Allow. "User 2" Full Deny.
3)  Folder 1's permissions are "User 1" Full Allow.  "Group 2" Full Deny, with User 2 a member of Group 2.

Log in with User 2, I can still see Folder 1, with any of those permission settings.
Sara 3/7/2013 10:47 PM
There is a known issue in v5.0. I guess your problem is related to this.
If you uncheck "inherit from parent" checkbox for a folder, all users see that folder's parent root folder in the folder tree. However only the root folder name is visible and they can not do any action.
Note that most of the time you don’t need to uncheck “inherit from parent” checkbox because you can already override the permissions of the users with this checkbox checked.
With v5.0, permission logic is improved so even you are inheriting from parent, you can explicitly allow or  deny permissions so you almost never need to uncheck "inherit from parent" checkbox.

We will fix this issue in the next minor version. In the meantime, please always inherit from the parent.
Cem Alacayir 3/8/2013 12:59 AM
Thanks Cem. That seemed to be it.  Leaving the permissions inherited & overriding instead of changing, everything seems to be working right.
Sara 3/8/2013 2:51 AM
FYI, we have released a fix to solve this issue, please see:
Fix 2 for FileVista v5.0 (v5.0.5)
Cem Alacayir 3/14/2013 12:06 PM