These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

E-mail notifications are not working?

Hello guys,

Trying out FileVista right now before committing to buy, and so far I like it very much, however I have a problem with the e-mail notifications. 

I created a user and set the user up to notify on all activity just for testing, and then in the server settings also enabled the email notification checkbox, and chose the "Specified pickup directory" as a deliver method to test as I don't have SMTP at the moment. No new e-mail are ever created in that directory, even though when pressing the test button the e-mail is created as needed.

Don't really know what I am doing wrong, anyone have any idea. I searched the forums and a few people had these issues....but their response at the end was "I figured it out", without a single clue on what the problem actually was, so any assistance is appreciated. 
Dmitri Bobko 9/25/2013 8:46 AM
Hi,
First make sure, you enabled “Send Email Notifications” on the settings page (above SMTP settings).
Note that a user will be not be notified of his own events as it’s unnecessary. When testing, you should use 2 different accounts.
Cem Alacayir 9/25/2013 9:09 AM
Hello,

Appears to have gotten it working...but may have also found a flaw of sorts in the name checking perhaps, not sure.

I have always had 2 accounts, the admin account, and an account I created called Rob. Rob also happened to be the account name I use in Windows. Anytime I logged in as Rob into FileVista, I wouldn't get any notifications. I just created a new account called Bobby and logged into FileVista with that (while still being logged in as Bob within Windows) and notifications worked!

Not sure if that's by design or just a bug somewhere, but regardless, seems to be working now.
Dmitri Bobko 9/25/2013 9:23 AM
To follow up to my previous statement, actually it appears that my statement was wrong. I forgot that I built a new server and therefore was logged in as Administrator on that server. I then had the default admin account and a newly created Rob account, but no notifications were sent with the Rob account. I created another account called Bobby and now notifications are working for both bobby and rob. It almost looks like notifications just weren't happening until I had at least 2 normal users created on top of the built in admin one.
Dmitri Bobko 9/25/2013 9:29 AM
Note that the Windows account you log on the server with is irrelevant.
Here are some other possibilities:

1. You left Email fields for users empty so notifications were skipped.
2. You did not set some Notification types (like permissions) for the receiving user on the folder you tried. By default, all notifications are unchecked when you add a user to a folder.

I don't think it's about having at least 2 normal users created on top of the admin, this is unlikely.
If you can reproduce it, we will look into it.
Cem Alacayir 9/25/2013 10:00 AM
Maybe I am just confused on how this all works in terms of flow and perhaps you can explain it to me. This is what I want to do:

When a user uploads a file, get an e-mail as an admin stating that a file has been uploaded.

Right now, it seems like when Rob uploads a file, Bobby gets notified, and when Bobby uploads a file, Rob gets notified. Is that how it's supposed to be? Rob and Bobby are in the same group within FileVista. 

What would the proper setup be for this if I just wanted Rob to get all notifications when someone else uploads any file? We are planning on using just one user account to upload files for those odd times someone has to send us something big, and we would just give them the login and password to complete the upload. Do I have to setup the e-mail account under Rob and Bobby, under Rob only, or Bobby only, and setting notification on Bobby's account for example would e-mail Rob as defined by his e-mail address? Really confused on the flow.

Dmitri Bobko 9/25/2013 12:18 PM
I think it's by design. The user executing an Action is never notified of that action. If you want to be notified of everything that users do, I'd say you'd need a third account that never does anything you want to be notified of. It's just for notification purposes and should be set up to receive all notifications - that could be the admin account.

For example:

Rob and Bobby have access to Rootfolder1 and are set up to receive notifications. Then, as you say, Rob will get notified when Bobby does things and vice versa.

I'd suggest: Remove the notification Settings for Rob and Bobby and just use a third account (like the admin) and give it seperate access permissions and only give him notification permissions. He will always receive Emails when either Rob or Bobby upload files. However when the admin uploads files, he will not get notified then.
Chris 9/27/2013 1:02 AM