These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Web Developer

Hello.
I have been testing your software and really appreciate it's capabilities. I have come upon 1 issue however. When I set it up to upload/download files to the local machine, everything runs very quick (which is what I like). However, when I create a virtual directory to another IIS Server (1 GHZ - 1GB Memory) downloads go quickly, but uploads take a LONG time. Do you know of a way to resolve this issue?

Thank you,
The Testmistro
Testing Webexplorer 2/25/2003 3:57 PM
I am not really sure about your problem. Have you tried vice versa, eg. creating a virtual directory to your IIS server and running the application at the other IIS server? This may help you to see if there is a connection problem in one direction.
Cem Alacayir 2/26/2003 5:21 PM
Actually I have tested this on multiple IIS servers. I don't think that the problem has to do with connection problems.

The situation is as follows:

I have 1 IIS Server and 1 file share server both are running windows 2k sp3. They are on the same domain and appear to be functioning perfectly. 

On the IIS Server I create a share to the file server \\fileshareserver\sharename and create a virtual directory to this share. I want to make authentication required and make the permissions of every subdirectory in \\fileshareserver\sharename - so I don't have a single account connect to this directory. B/c of this the virtual directory shows a red error on the directory, but all of the subdirectories are still showing up and can be accessed fine via webexplorer (everything appears to be working fine). I can download relatively large files fine (e.g. 100kb), however, when trying to upload files to the server it takes about 1-2 minutes to upload a 30kb file.

If I create a virtual directory that is physically on the IIS server (e.g. c or d partition) the same file takes only a few seconds.

I was wondering if my problem is a limitation of MDAC with asp...webexplorer...or if I am configuring the server incorrectly? I really like your product, but my clients are interested in solution that does not require putting IIS on their file share server b/c of security vulnerabilities that go along with IIS.
Testing Webexplorer 2/26/2003 9:02 PM
I think this should be something about the server configuration and not WebExplorer but I am not sure of a possible cause. Have you tried another upload plugin other than the generic one?
Regarding the red error icon; when both the web server and the target machine are members of the same domain or a trusted domain, you can supply domain credentials in the domain\username format. As long as the specified user account has access to the target machine and it's not disabled, the connection will succeed. When the machines don't operate within the same domain or a trusted domain, you need to establish a connection in the context of a user with access to the target machine. To do so, you can create two identical accounts on both machines and supply identical passwords for both accounts.
Cem Alacayir 3/3/2003 6:57 PM
Could you recommend some good upload plugins? Are these free? What is their benifit as opposed to what IIS installs by default?
The Testmistro 3/6/2003 4:16 PM
Upload plugin is a feature of WebExplorer products not IIS, you have to write your own for the Free version but other versions come with a set of plugins targeted for some popular 3rd party upload components like SA-FileUp and AspUpload.
I thought your thread was about WebExplorer Server, right? If not, this group is reserved for WebExplorer Server customers so please open your threads for the free version in WebExplorer Free group.
Cem Alacayir 3/7/2003 7:49 PM