These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Root Path with two server names

Howdy!

I am using WEX on an intranet that can also be accessed by remote users.  The app works great for internal users, but our remote users can't upload or view files when accessing the site externally.

I think that the problem is that our internal users are accessing the site directly, while the external users are accessing the site through a virtual directory on another server, and are therefore accessing the folder under different URL.

I've been poring through the code to see if there's a way to represent the targetpath in two ways depending on the IP address of the client host, but haven't been able to wrap my head around the answer.  Any thoughts?
Marc 3/7/2003 2:27 PM
Hi Marc,
I think you can solve this problem by applying the following steps if you are using anonymous access. If you are using Windows Authentication see Microsoft's KBA Q197964 instead.

1. Open IIS manager of the server (call it MachineA) that the virtual folder is created on (ie. the web server for your external visitors). Open the properties of the virtual folder and edit "Anonymous Access and Authentication Control" settings on the "Directory Security" tab. Make sure "Anonymous access" is checked, then uncheck "Allow IIS to control password" and enter a new password for the user IUSR_MachineA.

2. On the server (call it MachineB) that your resources (main site) reside, go into Local Users and Groups (under Computer Management) and add a user named IUSR_MachineA with the same password you entered in the first step.

3. In Windows Explorer on MachineB, right-click the share (ie. to which the virtual folder points), hit Properties, and on the "Security" tab, add the new local user IUSR_MachineA, give "Modify" permission and apply.
Cem Alacayir 3/16/2003 4:27 PM