These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Error on production server

Hi,

First, this is what I have been waiting for - fantastic and thank you. In VS2005 with a reference added, everything works great. But when I copy the FileVistaControl folder to the root of my production app, and make the web.config changes exactly as in your examples - I get an error as follows - 

Configuration Error 
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'GleamTech.Web.FileTransfer' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (D:\Site Content\beta.scai.org\web.config line 145)

Source Error: 

Line 143:   <httpModules>
Line 144:      <add name="RadUploadModule" type="Telerik.WebControls.RadUploadHttpModule, RadUpload.Net2"/>
Line 145:      <add name="UploadHttpModule" type="GleamTech.Web.FileTransfer.UploadHttpModule, GleamTech.Web.FileTransfer" />
Line 146:   </httpModules>
Line 147:    <membership defaultProvider="CustomMembershipProvider">

What am I doing wrong?
Karl WIlkens 11/13/2007 3:48 AM
Hi Karl,
I am glad that you will make use of this control. Please make sure that you copy the 5 control related DLLs to your production app's bin folder too. When you reference in VS2005, the DLLs are automatically copied from FileVistaControl/bin to app/bin folder so I guess you didn't notice it. 

Note that the folder FileVistaControl/bin does not need to be deployed, it is used for referencing the DLLs during building of the project.
Cem Alacayir 11/13/2007 4:26 AM
Hi,

Thanks - Still having implementation details. Assuming bin files are in root bin,  I copied images, scripts, languages, etc. folders to the root but am calling the control on a page in sub folder admin

Right now I get 'there was a problem retrieving the language file'

Think you need to work up better deployment instructions. Its not clear right now.
Karl WIlkens 11/13/2007 9:17 AM
Karl,
The instructions say to copy the whole "FileVistaControl" subfolder under your project's root folder. There is no problem with this so don't copy the files to the root directly, this will make upgrading the control harder in future. Just forget about the comment on FileVistaControl\bin folder, I think it confused you and having the copies of the DLLs there won't have any harm.

I don't know how you deploy your project. When you deploy your project, the bin folder of your project on the production server should be the same as the one on your development server.

So on the production server just make sure that 

1. The whole FileVistaControl folder is present under your app's root folder.

2. The followind DLLs are also in app's bin folder and not only in FileVistaControl\bin folder :
GleamTech.Web.Controls.FileVistaControl.dll
GleamTech.Web.FileTransfer.dll
GleamTech.Utility.dll
GleamTech.IO.dll
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll

Let me know if this clears it all.
Cem Alacayir 11/13/2007 9:46 AM
That is the current scenario - dlls in Bin, and all files in FileVistaControl folder in the root.

I think the problem relates to the fact that I am calling the control from a sub folder - pathing is as follows

root/admin/myFilevistaControlPage.aspx
Karl WIlkens 11/13/2007 9:52 AM
By the way, you may also copy the FileVistaControl folder under root/admin/ if it will be only used by your admin pages.

It doesn't matter how deep you put FileVistaControl folder as long as it's under app's root. The control will figure out its relative path according to the host page and reference the images and other files correctly.
Cem Alacayir 11/13/2007 9:55 AM
Is there any way to have your control debug paths? Right now, I have it working on one site but not on another. Both are setup as sitename/admin/filemanager.aspx

and the fileVistaControl folder is in the same location and web.config statements are identical.

However, on one site, I get a cannot find language file error no matter what I do.
Karl WIlkens 11/13/2007 12:19 PM
Ok, to understand the exact reason for this problem, please use version 1.0.2 of the control which includes a new property called "Debug". When you set this property to "true", the control will run in debug mode and as a result display detailed error messages.

By this way, we can find out the actual reason for failing to load the language file.

I have send you an email for the dowload link of this new version.

Let me know.
Cem Alacayir 11/13/2007 6:18 PM
Had similar problem moving FileVistaControl from development to production server. Copied directories and bin files over, checked permissioins, modified web.config, etc. Now getting "There was a problem retrieving the language file...Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/GetLanguageFile'. FileVistaControl.dll dated 3.6.2008
lauren 4/22/2008 9:45 PM
Please check if the web.config on the production server includes the following setting:

<webServices> 
<protocols> 
<add name="HttpPost"/> 
</protocols> 
</webServices> 

Also see Problem Retrieving Language File for other possible reasons.
Cem Alacayir 4/24/2008 5:36 AM
Yes, I copied the web.config containing "HttpPost" over from dev to production, making only changes to SQL connection. Also as mentioned I have 2 aliases for production site: www.mysite.com and xyx.mysite.com (latter not working).  I have debug property enabled for your control and it is indicating problem with GetLanguageFile.
lauren 4/24/2008 8:11 AM
Lauren,
I know other customers that can use urls like xyx.mysite.com without any problems so there should be something wrong with your setup.

Did you try the suggestions in the other thread?
Cem Alacayir 5/6/2008 1:55 PM