These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Running version 4 with MySql

We are customising Version 4 for a client but the client has requested (at the 11th hour) to use MySQL rather then SQL Server.

From reading various postings in the forum, I am wondering if the following configuration will work:

FileVista Version 4
Windows 32 bit
MySQL 5.5.8
Connector/Net 6.0.7 (fully-managed ADO.NET driver for MySQL)

Note: The client has specifically requested MySQL but might be open to using other open-source databases.

Has anyone used Version 4 successfully with anything other than SQL Server?
Peter McCullagh 1/26/2011 10:10 AM
Since cost is the main factor for the client, I should also ask if SQL Server Express Edition would be a viable alternative?

This would also allow us to run the product on a 64 bit platform?
Peter McCullagh 1/26/2011 10:57 AM
I've got it running on MS SQL Server Express. Works perfectly fine. Even multiple installations on the same machine.
Chris 1/28/2011 8:23 AM
Hi Peter,
I would recommend using SQL Server Express if possible as it's fully compatible and performant. You will be able to run both in 32 and 64 bit modes.

We have not tested against MySQL and Connector/Net 6.0.7. You would be dependent on the bitness of the driver I guess.
Cem Alacayir 1/28/2011 8:45 AM
Please see this topic for more information on enabling the DbFactory provider for MySQL :
SQL syntax error connecting FileVista 4.0 to MySQL Server 5.1
Cem Alacayir 1/28/2011 8:54 AM