These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Upload fails in IE7

Hi,

I have noticed that in IE7 the upload doesnt work for FileUltimate 2.0.  It works in IE8, Google Chrome and Mozilla.

Rob
Robert McCabe 11/11/2010 10:30 AM
Can you let me know the exact error message if any? Note that there are 3 upload modes Flash, Ajax and Browser. You can change the upload mode with UploadMode property of the control and see if the problem occurs in a specific mode.
Cem Alacayir 11/12/2010 5:15 PM
Hi,

I re-checked the version of the control we are using and it actually is version 2.1.  The upload method we are using is Flash.  The problem seems to be in IE7 with Flash Upload mode.

The symptoms are that the Remove/Remove All/Upload buttons are all enabled when the Upload Dialog first opens.  Allowing you to attempt to remove or upload items that are not selected yet.  Also, the add button does not perform normal functionality.  When you click add it doesnt actually do anything.  The error recieved when you click Remove/Upload buttons when the form is open and you've not selected a file is a null reference exception.  It looks like a javascript error.

Cheers,

Rob
Robert McCabe 11/15/2010 1:51 AM
Ok we have examined and fixed this issue. Please see:
Fix 2 for FileUltimate v2.1
Cem Alacayir 12/14/2010 7:05 PM
Ok I will give this release a try, thanks Cem!!

What all is in the new fix?  Does it have the contents of Fix 1 aswell?

Regards,

Robert
Robert McCabe 12/15/2010 2:58 AM
By the way, I have run into the same issue, I have tried this fix and it didn't work.  I should say it works for some IE 7 users but not for others.  Also I have a MAC user that is getting Error #2038, and he has tried firefox and chrome.

I have continual and ongoing issues with different browsers. I have users all around the country, and for some it never works and others it works all of the time. This is very frustrating to try and troubleshoot. I have been using the control since 1.3 and I regularly upgraded to try and get rid of one problem only to find another issue somewhere else.  I try everything I find in the forums, as well as from support, but have never been trouble free.

Currently there are issues when using this control on an SSL page. There are also issues when using this control with other controls such as the Component Art menu.  Issues with Mac and issues with IE.  I have had to put this control on a page all by itself, without SSL and it works for most people most of the time. I think this control is pretty cool when it works, but the never ending little issues and trouble tickets I receive is getting old.
Matthew 1/13/2011 10:48 AM
Matthew,
This fix is only for non-functional add button in the upload dialog issue which occurs in IE7. We have tested with IE7 on a XP machine and it works. Do some of your IE7 users experience the exact same problem or another upload issue?

Error #2038 is a different error and mostly caused by the inconsistent implemantations of Flash plugin on different platforms. There are also some known issues with Flash plugin when using SSL. Can you confirm that your MAC users have the latest Flash version?

Regarding Component Art menu, do you receive any javascript error messages?
Cem Alacayir 1/13/2011 12:21 PM
Hi Cem,

Sorry, I have let my frustration get the better of me. I have muddied the waters by spewing all my issues in one post. I will step back.

SSL & Component Art
We exchanged some emails on 10-28-2010 about SSL and Component Art.  You said you would send more info on the SSL but I never heard anything. I was able to work around these issues by switching the page to http, and removing the Component Art menu. This works but is not ideal, since all other pages are https and have a certain look and navigation and the page containing this control does not. 

I don't remember and since I currently don't have a page with your control and the Component Art controls, I can't answer your question. I will test this out as soon as I can and let you know.

Error #2038
I will check with this user to see if their flash plugin is up to date and let you know what I find.

IE7
This one is the most painful and varied. Some IE 7 users work just fine, others can upload very small files, and others haven't been able to upload anything. Currently I have two users with IE 7 issues. What information would you like me to collect (IE security settings, screen shots, etc.)?  I will get whatever you want and send to you via email.  

I know IE is a pain in the butt, and I know the conflict with Component Art may not be your issue either, I just can't seem to get this thing to work consistently with everyone and am frustrated.
Matthew 1/13/2011 1:24 PM
In regards to error #2038. I had the user update their flash plugin but they are still getting the same error.
Matthew 1/13/2011 3:18 PM
Hi Matthew,
We have fixed Error #2038 on Macs (and some other Mac related problems):
Fix 3 for FileUltimate v2.1

This may also fix the same error for IE7 users who can not even start uploading. Users who can upload at least small files is a different case.

Cause of Error 2038 can vary so I have splitted the topics:
Upload Error #2038 on MAC
Upload Error #2038 with large files
Upload Error #2038 with SSL

SSL:
Flash plugin causes problems when you do not use properly signed SSL certificates. Please make sure you are not using a self-signed certificate.
Cem Alacayir 1/20/2011 5:14 AM
Hi Cem,

Thank you, that fixed the issue my Mac users were having. 

Currently I think the only remaining issue is with some IE users. Some IE users can upload very small files but that is it.  Anything over approximately 20KB fails.  
Matthew 1/25/2011 1:12 PM
We are using version 2.1 of the control, unfortunately it would be difficult for us to upgrade to 3.x version right now as we would have to repeat our QA cycle which we currently do not have time for.  

We would like to know if using the 'browser' upload method definitively fixes this issue?

We are only willing to give up the extra upload details and progress bar of the 'flash' method if we can be confident that the 'browser' method is more stable. 

Hopefully this will give us time to incorporate the newest version and test our product with it.

ppjm 1/5/2012 12:33 PM