These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Large downloads

I've gotten FileVistaControl upgraded to FileUltimate, seems very nice. I do have some questions and issues re: large downloads:

1. FileUltimate is giving me this error on large zip files: Compressed or Uncompressed size, or offset exceeds the maximum value. Consider setting the UseZip64WhenSaving property on the ZipFile instance. FileVistaControl was OK with large zip files. In my test the zip file reached about 6GB but then the download failed with this error.

2. I still need a way to show progress during large downloads or otherwise notify the user that the download is still happening. Some of our downloads can take ten minutes or more. The wait cursor is way too subtle and it only shows up when the mouse cursor is placed over the right pane of the download window.

3. How is resuming downloads supposed to work? I see references to a download manager, is that some extra software not included in FileUltimate?

4. Is there a way to edit the message produced when a download is bigger than MaxZipFileSize?

Thanks.
Richard 3/11/2011 2:24 PM
OK, I have paused and resumed a download in Firefox, I see that now.

Just to clarify - the progress indicator or wait message is really needed during zip file creation, that is the part that can take a long time.
Richard 3/11/2011 2:31 PM
Hi Richard,
1. Ok, we have fixed this issue, please see:
Fix 4 for FileUltimate v2.1

2. We are currently working on a new version which will feature streaming the file directly to the user during "Download as Zip" action so the user will not have to wait for the temporary zip file to be created.

4. You can change the related message (string key "314") in the language file. The resource files like language files are supplied in the original download package (Resources subfolder). Please see the readme.txt file for more details on customizing the resource files.
Cem Alacayir 3/25/2011 1:04 PM
FYI, we have implemented streaming the file directly to the user during "Download as Zip" action in v3.0:
FileUltimate 3.0 RC1 is released
Cem Alacayir 8/1/2011 11:47 AM